Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:04:31 -0400
Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Martin Porcheron <[log in to unmask]>
(apologies for cross-posting)

We are hosting a workshop examining collaboration through Conversational User Interfaces at the virtual ACM CSCW conference this year and have just opened our call for papers. The details are below or on our website: http://speech-interaction.org/CSCW2020/

// KEY DATES //
Submission deadline: 30th August (23:59 Anywhere on Earth)
Notifications: 13th September
Workshop: 17th or 18th October (TBC)

// ABOUT THE WORKSHOP //
The virtual CUI@CSCW workshop will bring together the burgeoning communities centred on the design, development, application, and study of Conversational User Interfaces (CUIs). We will examine the challenges involved in transforming CUIs into everyday computing devices capable of supporting collaborative activities across space and time. Additionally, we intend to establish a cohesive CUI community and research agenda within CSCW and examine the roles in which CSCW research can contribute insights into understanding how CUIs are or can be used in various settings. By bringing together existing researchers and new ideas in this space, we intend to foster a strong community and enable potential future collaborations.

Additionally, this workshop seeks to establish a cohesive CUI community and research agenda within CSCW. We will examine the roles in which CSCW research can contribute insights into understanding how CUIs are or can be used in a variety of settings, from public to private, and how they can be brought into a potentially unlimited number of tasks.

// CHALLENGES //
In this virtual workshop, we want to specifically address issues cognisant to this overlap between the CUI and CSCW communities:
•	Examine key ideas around the notion of how individuals or groups collaborate with or through CUIs (voice or text-based)
•	Re-imagine CUIs as everyday computing interfaces
•	Discuss the strategies for studying and designing CUIs within CSCW's understanding of group work and collaboration
•	Explore parameters and issues needing to be considered in designing CUIs for multi-agent, multi-user conversations and tasks
•	Understand the challenges in designing inclusive CUIs that accommodate and are sensitive to a wider range of personal, social, and cultural contexts, especially in multi-party interactions

Furthermore, there are specific and timely issues that we wish this workshop to raise, including:
•	How can CUIs enhance or support an individual's personal health and wellbeing?
•	How can CUIs support individuals who may be (self) isolating/shielding?
•	How can the community address issues of biased or problematic AIs and enable CUIs to be used by the most diverse range of people, irrespective of age, ethnicity, or gender?
•	How can we address existing CUI and VUI usability issues that limit accessibility to both general and underrepresented populations (older adults, users with vision/mobility impairments, etc.)?
•	How can CUIs become a way for individuals with low literacy or access to technology to interact with digital media and the Internet?
•	How can CUIs be created in a collaborative way by a diverse range of people, especially by non-machine learning experts?

// SUBMISSION INFORMATION //
We invite researchers from academia and practitioners from industry to submit position papers. Papers should be 3–6 pages long (including references) in the ACM SIGCHI Extended Abstract template (Word/LaTeX). The submission should describe the authors’ work related to the workshop challenges, or any other key topic that authors feel should be addressed by the community.

We will prioritise papers that respond to pressing social topics, including remote working, isolation, and healthcare. We are ambitious for papers to be diverse in terms of topic, discipline, and approach, and workshop participation to be open and accessible to all people.

In addition to papers, we will invite the submission of one-page position statements for participants who wish to join the workshop without submitting a paper. In our past experiences we have found that this option is particularly attractive to industry-based researchers.

Submissions should be made by email to Martin Porcheron by 11:59PM on the 30th August (Anywhere on Earth).

// ORGANISERS //
Martin Porcheron, Leigh Clark and Matt Jones (Swansea University)
Heloisa Candello (IBM Research Brazil)
Benjamin R. Cowan and Philip R. Doyle (University College Dublin)
Christine Murad, Jaisie Sin and Cosmin Munteanu (University of Toronto)
Minha Lee (Eindhoven University of Technology)
Matthew P. Aylett (CereProc)
Joel E. Fischer (University of Nottingham)
Jofish Kaye (Mozilla)

More information is on the workshop website: http://speech-interaction.org/CSCW2020/