From:
Katherine Isbister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katherine Isbister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2019 15:57:11 -0700
**apologies for cross-posting**

TL;DR: We cordially invite all interested researchers to join our Play,
Culture, and Food workshop that will take place in Barcelona next October
22 as part of the CHI Play 2019 <https://chiplay.acm.org/2019/> conference.

Call for Participation: https://playandculture.wordpress.com/

Play and playfulness are increasingly popular in HCI and Interaction
Design, in and beyond entertainment games. In this one-day workshop, we
will explore how culture and traditions can guide the design of playful
interventions addressed at everyday scenarios. Using food as an accessible
starting point, we will gather scholars from diverse communities and
backgrounds to share, analyze, and make creative use of playful traditions,
and prototype new and interesting eating experiences. Through hands-on
engagement with traditions, play, and technology, we will discuss
strategies to make designerly use of forms of play that are embedded in
culture. In response to recent calls for increasingly situated and emergent
play design methods, we will explore strategies to chase
culturally-grounded play. Importantly, applicants need NOT be food-tech
experts—given the commonplace everyday presence of food, we hope the
workshop themes are widely relatable.

The workshop program can be accessed here
<https://playandculture.wordpress.com/workshop-structure/>.

Submission instructions:

Please submit a (max. 4 page) expression of interest to
[log in to unmask], including:

   -

   A 150-word bio.
   -

   A short (~300 word) statement about the perspectives you bring to the
   issues we will explore in the workshop.
   -

   A description of one or more playful food traditions from your family,
   culture, community, etc.. An example of a description of a playful food
   tradition can be found here
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PKs3HuD5kJJXUXlJPZfi2dUzdnSgIdP0>.
   -

   Optionally, you can also describe strategies/methods you have used to
   source inspiration in cultural play. We will share and experiment with
   those strategies during the workshop.

Position papers should be submitted at [log in to unmask] before
September 15, 2019. Proposals will be selected based on originality and
relevance to workshop themes, with the aim of having as diverse a
representation of perspectives and cultural backgrounds as possible. All
attendees must register to attend the workshop.

Key dates:

Submission deadline: September 15, 2019

Notice of acceptance: September 22, 2019

Workshop date: October 22, 2019

--

*Katherine Isbister, *Ph.D.

*Research Director, *Social Emotional Technology Lab

*Professor, *UC Santa Cruz Computational Media Department, Jack Baskin
School of Engineering