From:
Katrien Verbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katrien Verbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:54:13 +0100
Apologies for cross-postings. Please forward to interested colleagues and mailing lists.

Open PhD position in Human-Computer Interaction

https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/id/53209669/lang/en

The HCI research group at KU Leuven in Belgium is looking for new members to join our team!
We have an open PhD position (fully funded) on the use of visual analytics that combine data mining with visualization techniques.

In this project, we focus on two challenges of the visual analytics field:

- Quality of data and graphical representation: A central issue in visual analytics is the avoidance of misinterpretations by the analyst. As indicated by Keim et al. [2008] such misinterpretations may result due to uncertainty and errors in the input data, or limitations of the chosen analysis algorithm. To face this problem, the notion of data quality, and the confidence of the analysis algorithm need to be appropriately represented in visual analytics solutions. The user needs to be aware of these data and analysis quality properties at any stage in the data analysis process. In this project, we will target specifically domain experts with little technical knowledge to process data, such as teachers in a non-computer science related domain, as their knowledge is required to assess whether a value may be erroneous or representing an outlier

- Feedback: Another challenging aspect is to incorporate feedback from these users into the analysis process. Existing methods are largely non-intuitive and require significant expertise [Keim et al. 2010]. We will research how we can simplify existing solutions and which interaction modalities are suitable to enable domain experts to steer analytic processes.

Funding is available immediately. The research will be carried out at the Department of Computer Science of KU Leuven.

We expect from applicants:
- an excellent Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- a very good background and interest in human computer interaction research
- strong programming skills and the ability to do independent research
- strong commitment and the ability to work in a team
- a high level of proficiency in English, both spoken and written.