Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 09:49:43 -0400
From:
Audrey Girouard <[log in to unmask]>
Call for Papers
Special Issue on Organic User Interfaces
Interacting with Computers

Apologies for cross-postings. Please forward this email to interested
people/groups.

*Call Description*
Over the past few years, a quiet revolution has been redefining our
fundamental computing technologies. Flexible E-Ink and FOLED displays,
shape-changing and light-emitting materials, parametric design, e-textiles,
sensor networks, and intelligent interfaces promise to spawn entirely new
user experiences that will redefine our relation with technology. Future
flexible displays will allow us to design devices that are completely
flexible, or that can curve around everyday objects or our bodies. We call
such user interfaces Organic User Interfaces (OUI): interfaces on non-flat
multi-touch displays with rigid or flexible form factors. Flexible OUIs can
potentially change shape, and this flexibility can be driven by hand
manipulations of the display or by actuators in the display. The OUI vision
is based on an understanding that in the future, the physical shape of
display devices will become non-flat, potentially
arbitrary and even fluid or computationally controlled. This allows display
devices and entire environments to take on shapes that are 3D, flexible,
dynamic, modifiable by users or self-actuated.

We invite researchers and practitioners to imagine and debate the future of
OUI, as well as prototype next-generation interfaces. In this special issue,
we will explore how emerging materials and computationally-driven behaviors
can operate in unison blurring the boundaries between form and function,
human body and environment, structures and membranes as well as computers
and things.

The aim of this Special Issue is to present high quality, original,
manuscripts related to Organic User Interfaces. Manuscripts must be
original, but significant expansions and revisions of papers recently
presented at conferences and workshops will be considered. Possible topics
include:

•    Interaction with free-form display devices
•    Interaction techniques for flexible displays: FOLEDs and Flexible E-Ink
•    Textile display interfaces
•    3D lithography interfaces, laser cutting and cnc milling of interface
objects
•    Emerging display technologies: flexible, textile, paper and printed
displays
•    Shape-shifting, actuated user interfaces, claytronics
•    Computational materials
•    Kinetic interaction technologies
•    Empirical evaluations of OUI interfaces
•    Input techniques for organic user interfaces and new sensor
technologies
•    Future applications and themes of OUI
•    Tools for developing physical interfaces

*Submission details*
Please submit a 300-500 word abstract to Dr. Audrey Girouard (
[log in to unmask]) no later than 1st June 2011. Please include full
contact information and a biographical note (up to 75 words) on each of the
authors. Please submit the abstract and biographies in a PDF.

*Important Dates*
June 1st, 2011: Deadline for abstract submission
June 15, 2011: Announcement of results and full paper invitations
September 1st, 2011: Submission of full papers
October 25, 2011: Response to authors
December 15, 2011: Final submission

*Guest Editors*
Audrey Girouard (Human Media Lab, Queen’s University, Canada)
Roel Vertegaal (Human Media Lab, Queen’s University, Canada)
Ivan Poupyrev (Disney Research, USA)