From:
Daniel Diethei <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Diethei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2021 20:35:10 +0100
CHI 2021 Workshop "Artificially Intelligent Technology for/with the Margins: a multidisciplinary design agenda”

=== IMPORTANT DATES ===

Submissions: February 3, 2021

Notifications: February 21, 2021

Workshop Date: May 7, 2021

=== CALL FOR PAPERS ===

I would like to invite you to our upcoming CHI2021 workshop "Artificially Intelligent Technology for/with the Margins: a multidisciplinary design agenda”.

The integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) into social, health, and public sectors could bring promising benefits. However, these technologies lead to several challenges, e.g., privacy concerns, unfairness, and the increase of marginalization. Thus, it is essential that more attention is given on how we design such systems for/with marginalized populations.

This workshop will provide a forum to exchange experiences on designing technologies for/with marginalized people and AI/ML driven technologies. We will explore potential tools to support designing AI/ML systems with marginalized people, and develop a design agenda. We use a broad definition of marginalized people that may include, but is not limited to, people of/with low socioeconomic status, disabilities and migration histories.

We invite researchers, practitioners and community members interested in the aforementioned topic to submit a 2-4 page position paper. Submissions should critically reflect on current projects and/or present challenges and approaches. In particular, we encourage submissions about:

case studies with marginalized people and/or AI/ML,
design methods used with marginalized people that may be transferable to the design of AI/ML technologies,
past experiences illustrating positive or negative outcomes of AI/ML in this context.

Submissions should be sent to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> by 3 February 2021.

Acceptance will be based on quality, relevance, and diversity and will be communicated by 21 February. At least one author of each accepted position paper must register and attend the workshop and register for at least one day of the conference. The workshop is scheduled to take place on May 7, 2021.

More details about the workshop and the organizers could be found at https://techforthemargins.wordpress.com <https://techforthemargins.wordpress.com/>

=== ORGANIZERS ===

Franziska Tachtler, HCI Group, TU Wien
Konstantin Aal, Institute for Information Systems and New Media, University of Siegen
Tanja Ertl, Institute for Information Systems and New Media, University of Siegen

Daniel Diethei, University of Bremen

Jasmin Niess, University of Bremen

Mohammed Khwaja, Imperial College London

Reem Talhouk, Northumbria University

Giovanna Nunes Vilaza, Technical University of Denmark
Shaimaa Lazem, SRTA-City, Egypt
Aneesha Singh, UCL Interaction Centre
Marguerite Barry, University College Dublin
Volker Wulf, Institute for Information Systems and New Media, University of Siegen

Geraldine Fitzpatrick, HCI Group, TU Wien