Sender:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2021 21:27:49 +0000
From:
Aaron Tabor <[log in to unmask]>
Dear colleagues, we invite you to year four of the Body as Starting Point Workshop:

In this workshop we will ask: How do we design interactive technology to help “insource” health and wellbeing skills?

By insourcing we mean: allowing people to build the knowledge, skills and practice for understanding and positively affecting their wellbeing and performance.

We also ask:

  *   How do we design interactive technology for health and wellbeing to help us get off the technology for health and wellbeing?
  *   So that we can take care of ourselves, our groups, with fewer batteries required, more of the time?
  *   How do we build tools to help people get the knowledge, skills and practice for wellbeing and performance (i.e., for insourcing)?

To help people become health resilient - without building dependence on outsourcing to tools - we must understand how the development and ownership of health practices are shared between people and their interactive tools. Further we need to know how, when, and the extent to which technological interventions could help transition these practices into sustainable skills; i.e., insourced practice.

YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS:

This one-day collaborative workshop invites newcomers and experts to help shape the future of Inbodied Interaction by reviewing these open questions and forming research teams to chart paths forward for HCI designs that take the body as a starting point.

Come to this workshop to contribute your knowledge, build new ideas and skills, and explore, practice and build this new area of HCI by taking the body as a starting point. Submission should be 4-8 pages or so (excluding references) in the CHI 2021 Proceedings Format (https://chi2021.acm.org/for-authors/chi-publication-formats). In addition to being a great learning and community building experience, select papers from the workshop will be invited for inclusion in a special issue on Inbodied Interaction in Frontiers in Computer Science.

CHI2021 - bring your friends - 1 day workshop - short position papers due Feb 8

Visit our website to learn more and register:

https://www.wellthlab.ac.uk/inbodied4/

By the way, if you’re interested in learning more about inbodied processes, measures, and assessments for interactive design, join us at CHI for courses: inbodied interaction 101 (https://wellthlab.soton.ac.uk/ii-101/) and 102 (https://wellthlab.soton.ac.uk/ii-101/).

We look forward to seeing you.

m.c. schraefel, Josh Andres, Aaron Tabor, Scott Bateman, Abby Wanyu Liu, Mike Jones, Kai Kunze, Elizabeth Murnane, Steeven Villa

U of Southampton, IBM Research, University of New Brunswick, IRCAM-CNRS Sorbonne Univerité, Bringham Young University, Dartmouth College, LMU.