From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shneiderman, Ben
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:07:11 +0100
Posted on behalf of Ben Shneiderman <[log in to unmask]>

Special Session at CHI2003
  "Role of SIGCHI Professionals in Easing World Tensions"

   April 9, Wednesday  at 9am  in room 316

   Organized by Jeff Johnson, Jenny Preece,
                Ben Shneiderman, Terry Winograd

   Sponsors:  Kevin Schofield (ACM SIGCHI Chair),
     Gilbert Cockton (CHI 2003 Co-Chair), Ben Bederson, Joelle Coutaz,
     Clarisse Sieckenius de Souza, Joseph Goguen, Harry Hochheiser,
     Keith Instone, John Karat, Wendy A. Kellogg, Anita Komlodi,
     Dianne Murray, David G. Novick, Ant Ozok, Catherine Plaisant,
     Raquel Oliveira Prates, Elizabeth Rosenzweig, John C. Thomas

For those members of SIGCHI who are concerned about world tensions,
especially related to the war in Iraq, we invite you to a discussion of
constructive contributions that CHI professionals can make.  We want
your participation in shaping future information and communications
technologies that might be relevant to:
    1) rebuilding Iraq and international development in general
       (see links at http://www.hcibib.org/development/)
    2) news dissemination and formation of public opinion, especially
       in times of conflict (role of web news, blogs, and online
communities)
    3) strengthening citizen participation in local and national
democratic
       processes (how individuals organize to successfully voice their
       opinions and participate in their communities, see links at
       http://www.hcibib.org/communities/)

For future activities, we propose discussion of:
    4) a Development Consortium for CHI 2004 focused on Iraq,
       Afghanistan, and other Middle Eastern or Central Asian nations.
       The model for this is the Development Consortia (CHI2001 devoted
       to Latin America and CHI2002 devoted to South Africa).