From:
Heiko Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heiko Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2015 09:28:26 +0200
[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

We are pleased to announce the following workshop offered in conjunction
with the 6th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and
Interactive Vehicular Applications (AutomotiveUI 2015):

| AutomotiveUI 2015 Workshop on                                        |
|   Adaptive Ambient In-Vehicle Displays and Interactions              |
| Nottingham, UK; September 1st, 2015                                  |
| colocated with AutomotiveUI 2015 (http://www.auto-ui.org/15)         |
| Workshop website: http://waadi.offis.de/                             |
| Submission deadline (position papers): July 20th, 2015               |

------------------| IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE WORKSHOP |------------------
* Submission deadline: July 20th, 2015
* Notification of acceptance: July 31st, 2015
* Camera ready version due: August 10th, 2015
* Workshop date: September 1st, 2015

-------| OBJECTIVES: ADAPTIVE AMBIENT DISPLAYS AND INTERACTIONS |-------
Informing a driver of the vehicle’s changing state and environment is a
major challenge that grows with the introduction of automated in-vehicle
assistant and infotainment systems. Poorly designed systems could
compete for the driver’s attention, away from the primary driving task.
Thus, such systems should communicate information in a way that conveys
its relevant urgency. While some information is unimportant and should
never distract a driver from important tasks, there are also calls for
action, which a driver should not be able to ignore. We believe that
adaptive ambient displays and peripheral interaction could serve to
unobtrusively present information while switching the driver’s attention
when needed. This workshop will focus in promoting an exchange of best
known methods, by discussing challenges and potentials for this kind of
interaction in today’s scenarios as well as in future mixed or full
autonomous traffic. The central objective of this workshop is to bring
together researchers from different domains and discuss innovative, and
engaging ideas and a future landscape for research in this area.

---------------------------| WORKSHOP THEMES |--------------------------
Potential topics to be discussed at the workshop include, but are not
limited to:
* Ambient interfaces in the vehicle
* Peripheral interaction in the vehicle
* Adaptive & reactive user interfaces to match the driver’s state
* Modalities for feedback, e.g. acoustical, visual, etc.
* Shifting the attention of drivers
* Support task resumption by unobtrusively triggering drivers’
   prospective memory
* Managing in-vehicle interruptions
* Types of information that can be communicated through ambient displays
* Challenges for designing and implementing ambient interfaces
     * nowadays,
     * in manual/autonomous traffic situations,
     * in a future with fully autonomous cars
* Applying ambient displays to support explicit and implicit
   communication and cooperation in mixed traffic conditions between
   drivers of non-autonomous and autonomous cars
* Optical Head Mounted Displays or Near-Eye Displays

----------------------------| PARTICIPATION |---------------------------
The goal of this workshop is to bring together people who are active in
HCI research on adaptive or ambient in-vehicle displays. We aim to
generate insights to new research questions in this dynamic landscape of
ambient in-vehicle displays as well as unobtrusive and peripheral
interaction with the display and presented information. Participants are
expected to discuss, share, and take away beneficial insights,
strategies, tips and tricks in dealing with issues such as attention and
memory management, or challenges in the design of novel displays or
interaction techniques.

Registration for the main conference is mandatory for all workshop
participants, but there are no additional costs for attending the
workshop beyond the main conference registration fee. While everyone can
join the workshop, we encourage participants to submit a short position
paper with research questions to be discussed during the workshop.

-----------------------------| SUBMISSIONS |----------------------------
Presenters are expected to submit a position paper of 1 to 4 pages
EasyChair submission system
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=autoui2015) by July 20th 2015.
All submissions must follow the SIGCHI Extended Abstracts format
(https://github.com/sigchi/Document-Formats).

Submissions need not to be anonymous. However, reviews will be done
anonymously using an evaluation form. Each paper will receive at least
two reviews. All accepted papers will be published online before the
beginning of the workshop.

Presenters will be selected based on their submission through a review
process. The review process will be conducted by a program committee
consisting of the organizers as well as selected researchers working in
this domain.

-----------------------------| ORGANIZERS |-----------------------------
Andreas Löcken, University of Oldenburg, Germany
Shadan Sadeghian Borojeni, OFFIS - Institute for IT, Germany
Heiko Müller, OFFIS - Institute for IT, Germany
Lewis Chuang, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Germany
Ronald Schroeter, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Ignacio Alvarez, Intel Labs, USA
Valerian Meijering, Jaguar Land Rover, UK

For further information have a look at http://waadi.offis.de. You may
also contact one of the workshop organizers directly or send a mail to

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Heiko Müller on behalf of all co-organizers.