From:
Chris Kimble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Kimble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:05:33 +0100
Please accept our apologies for multiple and/or cross-posting.

The following information concerns details of the Research methodology
and philosophical aspects of IS Research track for the forthcomming
UK Academy for Information Systems Annual Conference.

Note that the submission date for this track is later than for the rest
of the conference.

Reply to: [log in to unmask]  http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~lsb/ukais99

Call for Papers: UK Academy for Information Systems Annual Conference

Track 4: Research methodology and philosophical aspects of IS
Research.

Information systems are a relatively new area of study, with a wide
range of reference disciplines from computer and information science
through to management science, sociology and organisational studies.
Although the question of the philosophical underpinnings of the
field, and the efficacy of different research approaches, has been
discussed in previous years, the debate has recently become more
vigorous with a spate of publications addressing this area.

The aim of this track is to bring together researchers representing
different perspectives on IS philosophy and research, to debate some
of the fundamental questions that have been raised and to look to the
future of IS research.  The questions the track will address include:

· Should Information Systems be viewed as a discipline?
· Should we draw the 'boundaries' for the field?
· If we should draw boundaries, where should they be drawn?
· What are the 'legitimate' theoretical underpinnings of the field?
· Does the field need a paradigmatic consensus to develop effectively?
· What is an appropriate research focus for our work?
· Can we identify appropriate methods for the field?
 ·What place does methodological pluralism play in IS research?

Particularly welcomed are papers (3,000 - 5,000 words) that introduce
new or different theoretical perspectives, question existing
orthodoxy or which put forward as exemplars of particular
philosophical or theoretical positions.  We will also welcome short
'discussion' papers (2,000 -3,000 words) outlining a particular
perspective or position.

Papers for this track are due by 20 October.  All papers for this
track should follow the conference submission guidelines and be
clearly marked 'Track 4: Research methodology and philosophical
aspects of IS research'.

Further information on the UKAIS Conference can be found at:
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~lsb/ukais99/

Reviewing will be blind and by at least three people.  Reviewers
include:

David Allen Sheffield University,
Richard Beeby University of Paisley,
David Ellis Sheffield University,
Bob Galliers Warwick University,
Lucas Introna London School of Economics,
John Kawalek Sheffield Hallam University,
Enid Mumford Manchester Business School,
Hugh Preston University of Aberystwyth,
Frank Stowell De Montfort University,
Christine Urquart University of Aberystwyth,
Geoff Walsham Cambridge University,
Edgar Whitley London School of Economics.

This track is co-ordinated by David Allen ([log in to unmask])

                             Chris Kimble,
        Department of Computer Science,  University of York,
                   Heslington,  York, YO1 5DD,  UK.

tel:+44 1904 433380, fax:+44 1904 432767 email:[log in to unmask]

           Home page: http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~kimble

        NISG: http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~kimble/nisg/nisg.html