From:
MMDeaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:41:15 -0700
The Usability and User Experience (UUX) special interest group of the STC is
putting together a progression proposal for next year's conference.  The
topic is Testing Documentation Usability. We are inviting STC members and
UUX members specifically to present during this progression.

(A progression is a 90 minute session in which up to 10 tables are personed
by a topic presenter. Attendees spend 25 minutes at up to 3 tables during
the 90 minutes and get a brief presentation, a chance to ask questions, and
hand-outs with additional information or resources. Presenters must be
conference registrees.)

Unfortunately, we have a short time-frame (we need the list of speakers and
their topics October 27), but if any of you are in STC and want to do a
table topic, the details are below. You can reply to me or to
[log in to unmask] Chauncey is dealing with a family emergency, so we
request you only cc him.

Thanks,
Mary Deaton
UUX Manager

Join us for a progression where usability and user experience experts
provide practical and simple methods for enhancing your usability resume.
In this progression, we will forego discussions on the "big three"
activities of usability practitioners, think-aloud testing, contextual
inquiry, and heuristic evaluation, and focus on simple, but powerful
complements to these methods.
Some of the methods we are proposing for this progression include:
. Diary studies
. Q-sorting
. Card-based workflow diagrams
. Persona or perspective-based inspections
. Teach-back
What are the benefits of these lesser-known methods?  Let's look at a few
examples.
. Diary studies complement other methods by adding a longitudinal aspect
missing from many traditional usability methods.
. A common activity for usability practitioners is prioritization of the
problems, tasks, or features.  Prioritization is often a critical aspect of
our feedback and Q-sorting is a simple approach for more credible feedback.
Q-sorting is a forced choice approach that clearly discriminates low from
medium, from high priority items.
. A technique that you might call card-based workflow diagrams can provide
information on the efficiency of workflows and the pain points that users
encounter using simple materials like rolls of paper, markers, and sticky
notes of various colors.
. Teach-back is a method where someone is asked to teach another participant
how to perform a task and then the participant is asked to teach someone
else or to teach back to an expert.
This progression will provide the basic procedures, strengths and
weaknesses, and tips for using each of these complementary methods. You have
25 minutes for each of 3 presentations during the 90 minutes time period.
If you would like to join us in hosting a topic, please provide the
following information:
. Title of your topic - the topic must be specifically for use in testing
documentation, regardless of the medium used for delivery.
. List of sources cited
. Bio for each speaker, specifically stating how you are qualified to
address the topic of the proposal.