From:
Louise Barkhuus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Louise Barkhuus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:37:33 +0000
Special issue of JCSCW on Leisure Technologies

Editors: Louise Barkhuus and Barry Brown, University of Glasgow

Call for papers
(deadline March 17th 2006)

While computers are a established part of leisure activity, research
into leisure technology has remained an undercurrent in CSCW  research.
In this call we invite authors to submit papers to the CSCW  journal
that study the enjoyable aspects of collaboration and  technology.

Following work on domestic settings [Taylor et al., 2005], blogging
[Nardi et al., 2004], gaming [Ducheneaut and Moore, 2004] and music
listening [Ohara and Brown, 2005], there is a growing body of  research
that engages with the details of leisure practice.  This  work increases
our  understandings of the diversity of practices that  make up leisure.
  Leisure cannot be defined in simple contrast with  work – leisure
often takes place as part of work, and many leisure  activities can seem
very work like, not to mention for those who work  in the leisure
industries.

We call for research that takes these observations further, engaging
with leisure as a new domain for technology research. In particular,  we
invite contributions that discuss the design of new leisure
technologies, systems that support a broader range of activity than
currently concieved– the sociable, emotional and playful aspects of  our
lives.  We also call for conceptual contributions that deepen our
understanding of how technologies can support or hinder existing
leisure practices, such as sport and social relationships.  The
deadline for paper submissions is March 17th 2006, and submissions
should be sent to [log in to unmask]  Submissions will be  reviewed
and authors notified before the end of June 2006.

Topics include but are not limited to:
•    New innovative games, e.g. mobile or interactive
•    Mobile communication for social purposes, e.g. picture exchanging
•    Home entertainment technologies
•    Social and sociable implications of leisure technologies
•    Tourist technologies such as interactive tourist guides, museum
visiting systems
•    Fitness/health technologies

See also call for participation at:
http://www.itu.dk/people/barkhuus/leisure-cfp-jcscw.pdf

Review Committee:

Matthew Chalmers, University of Glasgow
Mark Perry, Brunel University
Mark Stringer, University of Sussex
Alex Taylor, Microsoft, Cambridge
Keith Edwards, Georgia Institute of Technology
Lars Erik Holmquist, Victoria Institute, Gothenburg
Elizabeth Churchill, PARC
Oscar Juhlin, Interactive Institute, Stockholm
Nicolas Ducheneaut, PARC,
Dirk von Lehm, Kings College London
Kenton O'Hara, HP laps, Bristol