From:
Dakuo Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dakuo Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2019 00:34:52 -0500
Submission Deadline Extended to Mar 1st, 2019. Notification on Mar 4th, 2019
Chinese IT industry has a huge demand on HCI professionals due to the large
user population and the advancement of technologies in particular domains
(e.g., mobile pay, drones, etc.); meanwhile, HCI academics in China, though
scattered, are also more active in the global community in recent years.
ACM SIGCHI is putting lots of resources in supporting Asian countries
(including China) to develop an active research community, a suitable
education curriculum and research agenda, and a model of academia-industry
partnership. CHI 2021 in Japan is a move of such support. It is time to
bring early endeavors sit together to unify efforts and accelerate progress
by sharing practices (good or bad) and build common understanding.

The workshop will settle on a manageable set of themes based on
submissions. Examples could include:
* HCI Education in China - What are the good examples of HCI curricula in
the global community? What are the opportunities and challenges in the
current HCI education practices in China?
* HCI Research Highlights in China - What are the strengths and weakness of
HCI research in China? Can we come up with a collective research agenda
that can contribute the uniqueness of Chinese HCI to the world?
* Industry Partnership - What is the current status of the HCI
academia-industry relationship in China? Where can we improve?
* Fundamentals/History/Disciplines in HCI - What can we learn from the
history/disciplines taxonomy/foundations of HCI as guidance for the Chinese
HCI context?
* Bridge the Chinese HCI Community with Other Communities - What good
experiences in community building can we learn from the other HCI
communities? How can we facilitate the communication and collaboration
between communities, in particular with other Asian HCI communities?
* Future Event Planning - What kinds of future events should we organize to
achieve the goal of building a successful Chinese HCI community? Who want
to participate in such services?

Participants should email a position paper of 1000 to 2500 words by Mar
1st, 2019 to Xiangmin Fan ([log in to unmask]), cc Dakuo Wang (
[log in to unmask] ). The submission should include a description of its
contribution to the workshop topic and identify one or more thematic
interest of the authors. Quality and fit will determine acceptance and
contribute to selection a set of themes to focus on.

For more information about the workshop:
www.chinachiworkshop.com

Organizers:
Feng Tian, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Xiangshi Ren, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
Xiangmin Fan, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Wei Li, Huawei Canada Research Centre, Canada
Haipeng Mi, Tsinghua University, China
Tun Lu, Fudan University, China
Chun Yu, Tsinghua University, China
Dakuo Wang, IBM T.J.Watson Research, USA

Dakuo Wang, IBM Research AI
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

CHI 2019 Co-Chair in Social Media
May 4-9, 2019