From:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2018 10:45:53 -0500
** Early Career Development Symposium CHI 2018
** Applications due 15 Jan 2018
** Details: https://chi2018.acm.org/authors/career-development-symposium/

This one-day Symposium will help post-PhD researchers/academics develop
their careers in HCI. Participants will get the opportunity to engage with
senior HCI mentors and peers, and will come away with a better
understanding of how they want to develop as HCI researchers. The event is
open for applications from all members of the international HCI community
who have received their PhDs in the past five years.

Format

The Symposium will be modelled after the CHI Doctoral Consortia and the
Career Development events at CHI 2016 and CHI 2017. The format will include
individual presentations, whole-group and small-group discussions, and
guest speakers. We will develop the specific topics to be discussed through
pre-workshop communications with participants, working from their written
applications.

Participants will also have opportunities to strengthen their professional
networks with one another, and with the senior CHI mentors. Unlike the
format of Doctoral Consortia, we will focus more on career challenges, and
less on the contents of research programs. We will also hold a series of
panels on specific topics, facilitated by senior researchers discuss.
Topics may include:
      Building a cohort group of HCI colleagues (local, institutional, and
      virtual)
      Establishing a successful career path in academia, industry, and/or
      the nonprofit sector
      Fitting into departments e.g., what if I am the only HCI person in my
      department
      Selecting and developing a research trajectory.
      Identifying potential funding sources and preparing proposals.
      Getting involved in professional service.
      Communicating your work and strengthening your public profile.
      Balancing work, family and social life.

Submissions

To apply, please submit the following by email to:

1. A single-authored paper (maximum of 3 pages) in SIGCHI Extended Abstract
format describing:
Educational background and current position
      Current research (brief overview, for context only)
      Current challenges/experiences
      Career, research and professional service goals for the next 5-7
      years.
      What you hope to gain from participating in the Symposium.

2. Your long-form CV, including links to your website, blog or other public
web presence (if available).

Timeline

Note: Submissions will be distributed only among the participants, and will
be considered confidential. There will be no publication of submissions to
the Symposium.

15 January 27 2018: Submissions due

29 January 2018: Decisions announced

12 February 2018: Final versions due

21 or 22 April 2018: Early Career Development Symposium

Michael Muller, IBM Research
Geraldine Fitzpatrick, TU Wien