From:
Carman Neustaedter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carman Neustaedter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:57:06 -0500
 **DEADLINE EXTENDED TO: January 13, 2010**

BRIDGING THE GAP: MOVING FROM CONTEXTUAL ANALYSIS TO DESIGN

CHI 2010 Workshop
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Saturday, April 10, 2010

Workshop Page: http://carmster.com/gap

ORGANIZERS
Tejinder Judge, Virginia Tech
Carman Neustaedter, Kodak Research Labs
Anthony Tang, University of British Columbia
Steve Harrison, Virginia Tech

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION
The development lifecycle for interactive systems starts with contextual
analysis to guide system design. By contextual analysis, we are referring
to methods that create an understanding of users, their tasks and
practices, and the situational context in which their practices and
behaviors lie. Following this requirements elicitation, designers must
transition into actual design based on the obtained contextual
understanding. The challenge is that this transition process not
straightforward.

In this workshop, we seek to bring together researchers, designers, and
practitioners who regularly face the challenge of transitioning from
contextual analysis to design implications and/or actual design. Our goal
is to foster a community in this space, understand the techniques that are
being employed to move from contextual analysis to design, the challenges
that still exist, and solutions to overcome them.

CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS
EXTENDED Submission deadline: January 13, 2010

Participants are asked to submit a 2-4 page position paper in ACM CHI
format that details their work in this area. Authors should identify the
context of their own research, the methodological approach they have used,
and the challenges and successes with these approaches. We also ask that
authors include short biographies for each of the position paper?s authors.
We expect that typically only one author for each paper will participate in
the workshop, but please contact us if you would like more than one author
to attend.  We will consider this on an individual basis.

Submissions will be evaluated based on their relevance to the topic area of
the workshop, originality, and their ability to bring a unique perspective
to the discussions in the workshop. We also seek to include participants
from a variety of backgrounds (e.g., designers, ethnographers, computer
scientists, etc).

Email submissions to [log in to unmask] and CC [log in to unmask]

Notification of decision: January 30, 2010

Note: workshop participants must register for at least 1 day of the CHI
2010 conference occurring April 10 - 15, 2010. http://chi2010.org