From:
Christoph Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christoph Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:57:40 +0200
                          Call for Contribution
       Bringing Together Indoor and Outdoor Mobility Solutions:
        Methodological Approaches for Navigation, Localization
                        and Environment Modelling

                    2nd Workshop at the AAL Forum 2014
      Friday 12 September 2014, 9:00-16:00h, Bucharest, Romania
                   http://mobility-workshop.nmshost.de/

Aim
===
The central aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers,
industry representatives, and end-users of ICT-based solutions in the
realm of mobility assistance for Ambient Assisted Living. The primary
focus will be on relevant AAL-JP projects, particularly from call 4. We
see a definite plus, if not need, in sharing scientific and technical
expertise and experiences, and are looking forward to input from
industry and user organisations regarding overall requirements and
business perspectives. The workshop will be open to general participation.

Theme
=====
ICT-based solutions for increasing the mobility of elderly people in
activities of daily living are dedicated to help answering two simple
questions: “Where am I?” and “What is the route to my destination?”
Whether the assistive system is given by a helpful app running on a
portable device, or by a robotic device that additionally provides
physical support: the two central questions address the following topics:

* Route planning and accessibility: Given the actual and the desired
pose of the user, how do we plan a feasible route that considers bar-
riers, path conditions, and physical effort, i.e. a path that is
completely accessible? How do we plan the route such that it accounts
for certain points of interest, e.g. suggest a detour to the bakery?

* Navigation and interaction design: How to present maps and route
information to elderly users? Current off-the-shelf solutions don’t
consider their special requirements, such as diminished vision and
hearing, but also the cognitive load of map-based user interfaces is
rather high.  We are also interested in alternative solutions to
turn-by-turn instructions, which work nicely in street networks, but
fail for pedestrians in open scene space. Additional modalities, such as
vibrotactile handlebars, are also promising to improve the user interface.

* Transportation modes and transition: How do we allow for different
modes of transportation, e.g. as a pedestrian on foot, with a walker, on
a wheelchair, by public transportation, etc.? How is a seamless
transition between these achieved?

* Security and orientation: How can we assist users when they get lost,
the technical assistance fails, there is an emergency or they need
further orientation (e.g. in case of slight dementia)?

* Seamless indoor and ourdoor positioning: Sensorial equipment like
Satellite Navigation and inertial sensors are widely available in mobile
devices today and facilitate outdoor localization up to a certain degree
of precision. Indoor localization solutions require more sophisticated
sensorial equipment such as RFID beacons or Computer Vision/LIDAR. How
do we achieve a smooth transition between indoor and outdoor spaces?

* Environmental representations and maps: We want to discuss available
map representa­tions suitable for hybrid modelling of indoor and outdoor
route networks along with relevant impediments, landmarks, and points of
interests. We will further go into issues of standardization and
integration of indoor map representations into OSM or comparable
databases, and sensor-based approaches to obtain building maps.

Desired Contributions
=====================
We encourage you to contribute a 15 min presentation to one of the
sessions listed above. To select the presentations, in case there are
too many, and to relate them to the above topics, we would like to ask
you to send us a contribution statement with a short abstract of your
presentation.
You are also invited to contribute topics or questions to the
interactive discussion sessions.

=> Deadline for abstract of contribution: 30 July 2014
=> Notification: 7 August 2014

You are encouraged to submit your contribution as early as possible
before the deadline; you will then receive an early response within a
week to make you travel plans. Please refer to
http://mobility-workshop.nmshost.de/ for instructions how to submit.
The presentations will be published on this website after the workshop.
Furthermore, we are negotiating with an international journal about a
special thematic issue on mobility to be edited in 2015. This will be
another option to publish your workshop contribution.

Registration
============
Deadline for registration: 21 August 2014
Please register online at http://mobility-workshop.nmshost.de/

Contact persons
Prof. Dr. Bernd Krieg-Brückner, Dr. Christoph Stahl
Bremen Ambient Assisted Living Lab, CPS
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
D-28359 Bremen
Germany
Phone: +49 421-218-64220
Mail: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]