You are kindly invited to attend the Second International Conference on Educational Technology
in Cultural Context and submit proposals for papers. The conference will be held in Joensuu,
Finland, in the province of North Carelia, September 1 - 2, 2003.
The conference focuses on issues of cultural context in the application of educational technology.
It is organised by the Department of Computer Science and Eastern Finland Virtual University
Network at University of Joensuu.
The scope of the conference is set by the following main topics as they relate to the issue of
educational technology in cultural context:
- Cultural encounter through virtual learning environments
- Media, culture and learning
- Esthetics in theories and human thinking
- Culturally dependent methods for evaluation and assessment of learning
- Ethnomethodology and pedagogy for culturally sensitive educational technology
- Ethical foundations for contextually sustainable technologies
- Adaptive technologies for learner diversity
Submission deadline for abstracts is January 31, 2003. The length of the abstracts should be
half or one A4. Authors will be notified if they are invited to submit a proposal for final paper
by February 10, 2003.
You can also send a proposal for final presentation although you have not send an abstract.
Submission deadline is March 31, 2003.
- The length of research paper is six to ten pages (30 minutes)
- The length of projects & policies is four to six pages (20 minutes)
- The length of poster or demonstration is two to four pages=20
Author(s) will be informed about the acceptance of their presentations at latest April 30, 2003.
You will find more information in the conference webpages.
An International Summer School is being organised prior to the Conference, August 26 - 30, 2003,
at the Mekrijrvi research station of the University of Joensuu, in the easternmost community in
Finland, some 70 kilometres from the town of Joensuu. The Summer School has three parallel
workshops: for post graduate students specializing in educational technology, for cultural
contextuality (for any interested, especially senior researchers) and European "Project Kitchen"
for establishing new study projects and networks in educational technology.
You will find the conference and summer school website in the address
The program of the conference will be updated during the spring.
Feel free to share this information with your colleagues !
University of Joensuu
Educational technology center
P.O. Box 111
tel. + 358 13 251 3087
GSM + 358 50 531 8062
Fax + 358 13 251 2813
e-mail: [log in to unmask]