From:
Luigina Ciolfi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luigina Ciolfi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:43:48 +0100
*********************CALL FOR PAPERS**********************
Workshop "Bridging “Interaction Clouds”: Exploring collaborative
interaction across assemblies of mobile and embedded technology"

To be held at ECSCW 2009, Vienna, Austria 7-8 September.
http://bridgingclouds.blogspot.com/
http://www.ecscw09.org/

Overview
Portable technology, particularly in the shape of mobile phones and
personal digital assistants, has become a ubiquitous force in
everyday life. Advances in communication technologies have also meant
that we are rapidly moving towards the convergence of mobile and
stationary systems: this has allowed people to use mobile technology
to engage with systems embedded in the environments they inhabit,
offering a greater range of interaction possibilities and patterns
that we have labeled “Interaction Clouds”. By “Interaction Clouds” we
mean the complex patterns of interaction, sharing and exchange that
unfold around assemblies of mobile and embedded technologies.
This workshop aims at exploring such issues in greater detail, with a
specific focus on the design of a coherent social and collaborative
experience for people as the transverse an “assembly” of
technologies. The notion of Interaction Clouds also resonates with
the emergence of the internet as a resource free of device and
location constraints has brought about the concept of “cloud
computing”, where technology is emerging that allows people to shift
between multiple contexts (mobile/embedded), facilitated by a
connection to remote computing resources (clouds). This devolving of
traditional interaction paradigms brings with it new challenges to
support meaningful user social and collaborative experiences,
specifically how such hybrid systems can facilitate salient aspects
of user experiences such as collaboration and participation.
Topics of Interest
•       Studies of social and collaborative activity around
interaction clouds
•       Design for the support of collaboration and participation
across interaction clouds
•       New interaction modalities in interaction clouds that support
social interaction
•       Theoretical issues of how to define and study interaction
clouds (merging mobility-oriented and space-oriented frameworks, new
conceptual approaches, development of existing frameworks, etc.)
•       Explorations of settings where interaction clouds can be
meaningfully deployed: e.g. public spaces (museums, urbans areas),
workplaces, domestic spaces, etc.

Dates and Deadlines
Submissions are due: July 10th
Notification of Authors: 12th July, 2009
Workshop at  ECSCW 2009: September 7th - 8th, 2009

Submissions
Interested participants are invited to submit position papers in PDF
format with a word limit of 5000 words. Papers should be formatted
according to the ECSCW template see http://www.ecscw09.org/author.html.
The .pdf files should be sent to: [log in to unmask]

Workshop outline
The Workshop will run over 1 day. The Workshop call requests the
submission of short position papers. However, during the workshop, we
will foster debate moving away from traditional presentations, and by
facilitating discussions on shared artifacts. We will invite the
participants to contribute to the workshop with either posters, or
demos/prototypes, or video data documenting an experience, and these
materials will be the main subject of the discussion. In the
afternoon session, we will lead more focused small-group discussions
and brainstorming, and practical design exercises.

Publication & dissemination
Accepted papers will be included in the Workshop Webpage. During the
workshop participants will be asked to prepare posters for display
during the conference. During the workshop, opportunties for future
publications (such as a journal special issue) will be discussed.

Organizers
Marc McLoughlin, Interaction Design Centre, University of Limerick,
Ireland
Luigina Ciolfi, Interaction Design Centre, University of Limerick,
Ireland
Mike Fraser, University of Bristol, UK
Eva Hornecker, University of Strathclyde, UK
John Bowers, Interaction Research Studio, Goldsmiths, University of
London, UK

Contact Details
Workshop Webpage: www.bridgingclouds.blogspot.com
Please Contact the workshop chairs at: [log in to unmask]