Sender:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:40:27 +0000
From:
"Siek, Katie A." <[log in to unmask]>
Call for Research Experience for Undergraduates Applications

We invite undergraduates to apply to the Proactive Health Informatics Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site for Summer 2016.

More Information: http://prohealth.soic.indiana.edu/reu/

Updates: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProHealthREU/

 Logistics

Our 2016 REU dates are Friday, May 20 through Saturday, July 30, 2016.

For the 10 weeks of participation, each student will receive a $5000 stipend, free room and board, and GRE preparation (if wanted).

How to Apply?

We encourage undergraduate students interested in computing/informatics oriented areas - independent of experience or years in their respective programs - to apply to our REU program.

One of the goals of the REU program is to broaden participation of students from traditionally underrepresented groups in computing and/or who do not have access to research facilities at their home institution. We strongly invite applications from women, students of color, first-generation college students, gender and sexual minorities, veterans, and students with disabilities. Previous research experience is not a requirement.

Please complete an application as soon as possible (we will review, interview, and select participants on a rolling basis starting in January 2016). The final due date for applications is March 15, 2016:

●      Fill out the application form directly online http://tiny.cc/IUREU
●      Email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>:

○      your unofficial transcripts

○      a personal statement that discusses their research interests and motivation for being part of ProHealth’s inclusive, collaborative research experience (please consider looking at our REU ProHealth Projects and Faculty Mentoring Team)

○      Arrange for two letters of recommendations addressed to the ProHealth Mentors to be emailed to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. The letters should comment on your interest in and potential for research. They might discuss your background in computing and the extent to which a summer research experience would further your education, possible graduate study, and future career outside academia.

○      (Optional) A link to your to a website that shows examples of your project work

●      This program is funded in part by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Stipends from NSF funds are restricted to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. International applicants with a stipend through their home institution are welcome to apply. If international applications are selected, we will provide research housing. Other NSF-supported REU programs may be found at the NSF http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp

ProHealth reserves the right to review, interview, and select participants on a rolling basis, thus people who apply sooner have a better opportunity for a position within the ProHealth Research community.

Indiana University values diversity and invites applicants from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching, and service missions of the university. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and we encourage applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

If you have any question, please contact Professor Katie Siek at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Contact Information

Indiana University

Informatics - ProHealth Informatics REU Program

919 E. 10th Street

Bloomington, IN 47408 USA

Website: http://prohealth.soic.indiana.edu/reu/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProHealthREU/

Primary Contact: Professor Katie Siek, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. CNS-1560276. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.

Katie A. Siek, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Indiana University
Informatics
919 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408-3912 USA
o: (812) 856-0598
c: (720) 244-0376
f: (812) 856-5754
s: katiesiek
w: http://wphomes.soic.indiana.edu/ksiek/
Office: Info East 267 (in the connector)

My latest collaborative publications:
Integrating community- based participatory research and informatics approaches to improve the engagement and health of underserved populations. JAMIA http://tiny.cc/CBPR-JAMIA

MuscleMemory: Identifying the Scope of Wearable Technology in High Intensity Exercise Communities. Pervasive Health 2015 Best Paper Nomination. http://tiny.cc/MuscleMemory

Rare World: Towards Technology for People with Rare Diseases. CHI 2015 Honorable Mention Award. http://tiny.cc/RareWorld