From:
Leah Buechley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leah Buechley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:55:19 -0600
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 7

Submit an instructable (http://www.instructables.com) to participate
in this workshop on Do-It-Yourself (DIY) communities and CHI.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION/CALL FOR INSTRUCTABLES: CHI 2009 Workshop:
DIY for CHI: Methods, Communities, and Values of Reuse and Customization
Workshop at the 2009 ACM Computer Human Interaction (CHI) conference
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Workshop Day: April 5, 2009, all day
full call here: http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~daniela/diy/

What do glitter and glue, needles and thread, batteries and wires have
to do with CHI? What do makers and crafters have to teach us about the
world, ourselves, and technology? Where can CHI researchers engage
with the rise of professional amateur Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
practitioners? This workshop provides an active playspace for these
communities to come together in making, building, and hacking
technologies and ideas. DIY encompasses a range of design activities
that have become increasingly prominent in online discussion forums
and blogs, in addition to a small-but-growing presence in professional/
research forums such as CHI. Come prepared to disassemble, smash,
break, cut, glue, sew, solder, re-assemble, and get dirty as we create
our DIY future. The workshop will be focusing on DIY communities, DIY
methods, and DIY values and goals through a series of hands-on and
participatory DIY exercises and explorations.

We invite submissions in the form of instructables (see website above
for submission details).  See you in Boston in April!

ORGANIZERS
	Leah Buechley - MIT Media Lab
	Eric Paulos - HCI Institute Carnegie Mellon University
	Daniela Rosner - School of Information, UC Berkeley
	Amanda Williams - School of Information and Computer Sciences, UC
Irvine

IMPORTANT DATES
	Submission deadline: 7th November 2008
	Notification: 28th November 2008