Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:20:39 -0800
Due to the CHI rebuttal deadline and the upcoming US holiday, we have
moved the position paper deadline to Monday November 26th for the Workshop
on Measuring Networked Social Privacy: Qualitative & Quantitative
Approaches (to be held on February 23 & 24, 2013, in conjunction with the
ACM CSCW conference in San Antonio, Texas). Please find an updated CFP
below.
==================
EXTENDED DEADLINE and final call for participation: Measuring Networked
Social Privacy: Qualitative & Quantitative Approaches

Two-day workshop at CSCW 2013
Feb 23-24, 2013

New submission deadline: Monday 25th November 2012

Workshop website: http://networkedprivacy2013.wordpress.com/

Social media plays an increasingly important role in interpersonal
relationships and, consequently, raises privacy questions for end-users.
However, there is little guidance or consensus for researchers on how to
measure privacy in social media contexts, such as in social network sites
like Facebook or Twitter. To this point, there is a clear need to develop
appropriate metrics and techniques for measuring privacy concerns in
social media. Accomplishing such a goal requires knowledge of the current
methods for measuring social privacy, as well as various existing
interpersonal privacy frameworks. In this workshop, we will cultivate a
common understanding of privacy frameworks, provide an overview of recent
empirical work on privacy in social media, and encourage the development
of consensus among the community on how to approach measuring social
privacy for these networked, interpersonal settings. Our 2-day workshop
will provide participants the opportunity to work more deeply on these
issues, including opportunities to create and pilot new privacy measures,
methods, and frameworks that will comprise a toolbox of techniques that
can be used to study privacy concerns in social media.

We invite researchers from various domains to join this multidisciplinary
workshop and address a number of key challenges in achieving this research
vision. Some of these challenges include:
* "Measuring" privacy: How should privacy be measured? Many studies run
into the "privacy paradox" which points to how privacy concerns are not
correlated with actual behavior. How should studies ensure that they are
capturing untainted privacy concerns? How do we connect concerns with
behavior?
* Contextualizing privacy: How context-specific should privacy metrics be?
How can we anticipate the types of social privacy concerns that will be
most salient for different audiences? What types of situational context
need to be captured in order to effectively capture interpersonal privacy
concerns in social media?
* Cross-study comparisons: How can general privacy measures be useful
across different studies? What ways can we measure whether one privacy
design is more effective than another in addressing social privacy
concerns? How should context be considered when comparing privacy concerns
across studies?
* Integrating qualitative with quantitative: What is the role of various
qualitative and quantitative methods in developing metrics? How can these
methods complement each other? In which situations should a particular
method, tool, and/or study design be used?
* Integrating frameworks and metrics: How can we draw from existing
privacy frameworks to contribute to our understanding of privacy in social
media? What aspects of social privacy do these frameworks do a good job of
capturing? What aspects of social privacy do these frameworks neglect to
capture? How can we translate these privacy frameworks into a tool for
capturing privacy concerns?

We welcome a range of work including (but not limited to): (1) addressing
one of the challenges described above, (2) experiences and/or case studies
about measuring privacy and/or developing novel privacy frameworks, (3)
lessons learned of what works and what doesn't work when capturing social
privacy concerns, (4) challenges to established assumptions about
measuring privacy, and (5) ideas on novel directions in creating new
privacy metrics and frameworks.

Format: 2-4 pages, in the ACM extended abstract format.

Submit: by email to [log in to unmask]

Extended Deadline: November 25th 2012

Notification: December 11th 2012

Workshop: Feb 23-24, 2013 at San Antonio, TX

If you have any questions, you can contact the workshop organizers at:

Workshop organizers:
Xinru Page, University of California, Irvine, USA
Karen Tang, University of California, Irvine, USA
Fred Stutzman, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, USA
Airi Lampinen, HIIT & University of Helsinki, Finland