From:
Mary Czerwinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Czerwinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:30:34 -0800
Dear HCI community,

The SIGCHI Executive Committee feels that this award is a great
opportunity for us to celebrate the depth and breadth of truly excellent
researchers and practitioners we have in our field.  It is our hope that
a large number of individuals from HCI will be nominated for this award.

We encourage each of you to think of someone you feel is deserving, and
either nominate that person yourself, or email the SIGCHI EC with your
suggestions ([log in to unmask]).

Best regards,

Mary Czerwinski

SIGCHI EC VP

___________________________________

Human-Centered Computing

Call for Nominations

Dear Colleague:

On behalf of The Franklin Institute, I invite you to nominate candidates
for the 2007 Bower Award and Prize to be presented to a distinguished
scientist in the field of Human-Centered Computing. The Bower Award for
Achievements in Science is presented annually by The Franklin Institute
to a researcher of any nationality for outstanding work in the applied
or basic sciences, or engineering. A predetermined field of study is
chosen each year as a theme. A gold medal and a cash prize of $250,000
are awarded to the individual selected to receive the Bower Award and
Prize for Achievement in Science.

The theme for the 2007 Bower Award for Achievement in Science is
Human-Centered Computing. We are soliciting nominations of individuals
who have significantly advanced Human-Centered Computing; who have
clarified the relationship between human cognition and computing; or who
have successfully translated some important aspect of basic research
into significant, practical results. Areas of contribution can include
issues of design, collaborative work, and assistive technology.

The Franklin Institute Awards Program is among the oldest and most
comprehensive international science and technology awards programs in
the world. Previous Franklin Institute Laureates in Computer and
Cognitive Science include Marvin Minsky, Lucy Suchman, John McCarthy,
Douglas Engelbart, Whitfield Diffie, and Noam Chomsky. I urge you to
nominate a candidate whose name should be added to this distinguished
list.

Please forward this call for nominations to colleagues who might wish to
make a nomination or to professional associations to which you belong. A
downloadable Call for Nominations and information about developing a
nomination can be found at
www.fi.edu/tfi/exhibits/bower/06/07nominate.html. Please also feel free
to post this material on any appropriate websites you may manage.

Questions about the appropriateness of a particular nomination are
welcome and should be directed to Dr. Philip W. Hammer, Vice President,
The Franklin Institute, at [log in to unmask] If you know of a candidate
who has made an extraordinary contribution in the area of human-centered
computing, I strongly encourage you to participate in this 2007 Bower
nomination process.

Sincerely yours,

Dennis M. Wint, Ph.D.

President and Chief Executive Officer

The Franklin Institute

Deadline for Complete Nomination Package: May 31, 2006.

Franklin Institute Awards Program: www.fi.edu/tfi_awards

Please accept our apologies if you have received this call for
nominations multiple times, as we have disseminated it throughout the
HCI community via many channels simultaneously.