From:
Michael Twidale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Twidale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:30:51 -0600
I use the Starfire  video from Sun in HCI classes in the way Jonathan suggests.
http://www.asktog.com/starfire/
There are an enormous number of issues packed in there and it's fun
to challenge students to spot them. Amongst others:

Things we have that are like what they predicted
Things we don't have yet
Things we're getting close to
Things we have and use lots that aren't in the video (ex: cellphones!)
Issues raised/illustrated in the movie around CSCW & HCI concepts

Starfire was created in I think 1992 and set in the future of 2004

I find it interesting that in many ways it is a more modest vision of
the future than KN although created 5 years later
Well more modest re AI, voice recognition and other software things
more ambitious about hardware and ubicomp

The video activity seems to engage students with widely varying
levels of technical expertise and enables useful discussions of what
we want in our devices as we integrate them into our lives.

BTW I'm still waiting for my Starfire desk. And somehow I haven't
managed to afford the sort of home that Knowledge Navigator says
professors will live in by 2010.

Mike