From:
"Singh, Aneesha" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Singh, Aneesha
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2016 21:52:09 +0000
Dear CHI Attendees,

Join us on Tuesday 14.30-15.50 (room 112) for our SIG at CHI'2016 entitled: "Mind the Gap: A SIG on bridging the research gap on body sensing, body perception and multi sensory feedback". The abstract is below this email and all other details of the SIG, including the abstract, are also available on our website at http://www.sensedbody.org.

The SIG will start with a few provocative presentations and minute madness session from speakers working in the area to get the ball rolling followed by a panel discussion. The details of the speakers are available on our website. We also have a twitter account at @sensedbody where we will be posting updates.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the SIG for a timely and relevant discussion on the present and future directions for this area of research.

Best,
Aneesha, Ana, Nadia, Nic, Monica, Roberto and Dana

Abstract
Peopleís perceptions of their own bodyís appearance, capabilities and position are constantly updated through sensory cues [10,14] that are naturally produced by their actions. Increasingly cheap and ubiquitous sensing technology is being used with multisensory feedback in multiple HCI areas of sports, health, rehabilitation, psychology, neuroscience, arts and games to alter or enhance sensory cues to achieve many ends such as enhanced body perception and body awareness. However, the focus and aims differ between areas. Designing more effective and efficient multisensory feedback requires an attempt to bridge the gap between these worlds. This interactive SIG with minute madness technology presentations, expert sessions, and multidisciplinary discussions will: (i) bring together HCI researchers from different areas, (ii) discuss tools, methods and frameworks, and (iii) form a multidisciplinary community to build synergies for further collaboration.

Topics for presentations and discussion include:

1. Sensing the body: why, what, when, how? Multisensory feedback about body characteristics, such as size, and body movement, can facilitate reflection on these states and increase body perception and awareness. However, what should be sensed, what type of feedback is most effective and what should it model? Is this different for different areas of HCI? When is it important to provide a sense of agency and ownership over the feedback to respond to it? What kind of alteration can help to gain an enhanced and positive perception of the body? Drawing together experiences and practice, we can get a better understanding of what body movement and physiology is telling us about the affective state of an individual as perception of the body is affected by emotional state and what we need to know for different areas of application.

2. Finding common ground for exploiting sensory feed-back across HCI: Exploring problem and focus areas in each field to determine how they could benefit from other areas and influence them in turn. For example, in fitness and games, sensory feedback is used for information about performance but what other parameters are being used in other domains that could be useful to this area and vice versa? In health and rehabilitation, people may have an altered or distorted sense of their body appearance, body capabilities and proprioception; how can multisensory feedback be designed to readjust
distorted perception of oneís body or to regulate emotional state related to body perception? Further, how can tricking or altering perception be useful and in what contexts? How can we borrow from approaches in certain fields to benefit others?

3. Body sensing approaches for self and others: Generally, sensing technology is designed for people to sense their own body, but is it helpful to share this information about a personís body and emotional state? Who should perceive the body and can we increase under-standing and interpretation of others through our own body? Will having others experience oneís own body facilitate understanding and social inclusion of people with invisible illnesses or lead to new types of experiences in HCI Arts and Games? We will discuss methods currently being used to tackle these issues and how they complement other strategies.

4. Opportunities and challenges for body sensing technology. Ethical issues: While sensing technology can be very useful, its use has to be tailored to the context of use. Where can these technologies be successfully em-ployed and what kind of feedback is useful in what situation? What are the differences in designing multisensory feedback for a situated or ubiquitous context? Further, what are the ethical challenges of altering or enhancing perception of the body? We will devote time to the sharing of research experiences and understand what are the potential issues that arise from such re-search, especially in the wild when we (as researchers) are not around to see the impact of the technology that we design. What do we need to take into account and what kind and level of support needs to be in place?

Author Keywords
Wellbeing; health; rehabilitation; multisensory feed- back; emotion; positive body perception; wearables, exergames; ubiquitous; body representation.
Organizers: Aneesha Singh, Ana Tajadura-Jimenez, Nadia Bianchi-Berthouze, Nic Marquardt, Monica Tentori, Roberto Bresin, Dana Kulic

Primary contact: Aneesha Singh, UCL, [log in to unmask]

CHI link: http://confer.csail.mit.edu/chi2016/paper#!sig115

Please do forward this invitation to your colleagues.