From:
Lora Aroyo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:19:02 +0200
Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce that the doors of the new Intertain HomeLab
at the VU University Amsterdam will officially open on Friday April 16, 2010.
We would like to invite you to come and learn about the facilities
for research and experimentation that the Computer Science department
at the VU is offering.

In the current ICT landscape the classic notion of Computer Science
is forever gone as we have entered the "Networked World" -
distributed, interactive, shared, social and multi-device.
People's needs become individualized and context-driven; content and
devices become interactive, shared, distributed and ubiquitous,
demanding support for context-awareness and complex interaction patterns.
Thus, "user experience" becomes essential for the usability of software
and hardware applications.

The ultimate goal of the Intertain HomeLab is to provide a realistic
physical representation of the Networked World - a flexible ambient
infrastructure, based on advanced sensor, network, mobile and
information technologies, for individual and group multi-modal
interaction with distributed devices and content.
The HomeLab takes a user-centric and multi-disciplinary approach
to exploration, testing and experimentation of the social impact
and personal user aspects of intelligent, interactive, context-aware
and distributed applications, which will shape the future of
"Computer Science" in all its new forms.

For more details, visit our website: http://www.cs.vu.nl/intertain

We have prepared for you a diverse program of external keynotes,
in-house demonstrations and walk-through the lab facilities:
* 10:00 Welcome by Computer Science department chair Prof. Hans Akkermans
* 10:15 Keynote by Marleen Stikker (President of Waag Society, Amsterdam)

* 11:00 - 11:30 Coffee-break

* 11:30 Overview of the Intertain Demonstrations
* 11:45 Demonstrations (Round I)
 - 3D molecular interaction visualization (VU Chemistry department demo)
 - Bio sensors used in bike training  (Lifestyle Informatics project demo)
 - Location tracking using in-house micro-GPS sensors

* 12:30 - 13:30 Lunch

* 13:30 Keynote by Pieter van der Heijden
   (Designer of the Beeld en Geluid Experience, Hilversum)

* 14:15 Demonstrations (Round II)
 - Distributed applications using Android mobile phones (Interdroid demo)
 - Visualization of a remotely running galaxy simulation  (Ibis project demo)
 - Interaction analysis using distributed sensors (InCrowd project demo)

* 15:00 - 15:30 Coffee-break

* 15:30 - 16:30 Demonstrations (Round III)
 - Interactive applications on multi-touch tables and large LCD screens
 - Digital Cultural Heritage (E-culture project video and demo)
 - Personalized Museum Tours (CHIP project demo)
 - Video Tagging Games (PrestoPrime demo)

* 16:30 Future research trends & closing remarks

* 16:45 - 18:00 Drinks

The event is free of charge, however, we ask you to register, as we
would like to make most efficient use of the limited space of the lab
and host all the interested people.
Registration is possible for the morning, afternoon or the whole day
(including lunch). Please, register before April 14 at
      http://semanticweb.cs.vu.nl/intertain/opening

For more information, see http://www.cs.vu.nl/opening-intertainlab
or contact us at: [log in to unmask]

Follow news on Twitter: #intertain

Best regards,
the VU Intertain Team

--
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~laroyo

VU University Amsterdam (FEW Building, U-326 Room)
De Boelelaan 1081, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands

check out projects i am working on:
--> NoTube:   http://notube.tv
--> Agora:   http://agora.cs.vu.nl/
--> PrestoPrime:   http://www.prestoprime.org/