Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2020 07:13:54 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Laura Malinverni <[log in to unmask]>
--- deadline extension: Participant submissions due: May 1st, 2020 ---

Workshop to be held at ACM Interaction Design and Children IDC2020, June 19, London (UK)
https://sites.google.com/view/idc2020wsai/

Robotics, automated systems and AI are gradually shaping novel techno-social realities especially in educational contexts. However, not enough space is being given to a critical reflection on the emerging ethical and social implications for designers/developers and the users, especially children. This workshop aims at creating a space to discuss the current practices and the near-future opportunities for the support of children’s reflections related to robotics, automated systems, and AI implied in educational environments.

Call for Papers
We invite researchers from all disciplinary backgrounds to participate in the workshop. Participants need to submit a position paper, 2-4 pages (including references) in CHI Extended Abstracts Format, that outlines their view on the workshop’s topic.
Paper submission will be done via Easychair: https://easychair.org/account/signin?l=MJqxU35XQj2Z5Quy9mujcJ#

Topics
The main questions we are looking to address are the following:
- What are the current practices and policies of creating opportunities for children's reflections on AI, Robotics and other Intelligent Technologies?
- How can we ensure that children are given the opportunities to critically reflect on the design and the use of AI, Robots and Intelligent Technologies?
- What are the main ethical and social issues that deserve particular attention when working with emergent technologies with children? (Designing AI, Robots and Intelligent Technologies for children's interaction; Designing educational initiatives to scaffold children's reflections  on Intelligent Technologies they use.)
- How can we address these issues? Which methods, techniques, approaches and theories can be useful for such an attempt?
- How to make these topics interesting, accessible and relevant for children?
- What kind of tools and platforms do we need in order to create a shared space for children’s reflections?

Important Dates
Participant submissions due: May 1st, 2020
Participants notified of acceptance: May 8th, 2020
Camera ready Deadline (for workshop organisers): May 15, 2020
Workshop day: 19th June 2020

Organisers
Vicky Charisi, Centre for Advanced Studies, JRC, European Commission
Laura Malinverni, Department of Visual Arts and Design, University of Barcelona, Spain
Elisa Rubegni, School of Computing & Communications InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK
Marie-Monique Schaper, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain