From:
Mirjana Spasojevic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 20:19:40 -0500
*DEADLINE EXTENDED: June 10*

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Mobile and Ubiquitous User Experience: Design Principles and Best
Practices

http://mux.adaptivepath.com

Workshop held in conjunction with the 9th International Conference on
Ubiquitous Computing. http://www.ubicomp2007.org/

Sept 16 2007. Innsbruck, Austria.

Organizers:

Mirjana Spasojevic, Nokia Research Center

Rachel Hinman, Adaptive Path

Mor Naaman, Yahoo! Research Berkeley

Virpi Roto, Nokia Research Center

Will Dzierson, Google

Over the past decade there has been significant development in the
domain of mobile and ubiquitous devices, services and applications. From
the initial ideas and prototypes in the late 90s, things have moved to
pilot deployments and finally commercial endeavors. Yet only a few early
ideas that have been put to test have reached univocal successes and
broad adoption, while many others have languished around and have
eventually been abandoned. In this workshop we would like to provide a
forum for discussion of design principles and best practices for mobile
and ubiquitous user experience, especially focusing on applications and
services. We would like to share successes, failures and lessons learned
and, as a community, suggest new venues for research.

Workshop Themes:

The goal of this workshop is to provide a platform for sharing and
discussion of the lessons learned in mobile and ubiquitous design for
applications and services. Our past experiences and research suggest
several themes and principles that are important in building these
applications and services, especially when it comes to mobile internet
access:

- Think uniquely mobile, not a mini PC.

- Think always with you, not just on the go.

- Think building and reinforcing common ground and identity.

- Think access to what's essential, not just browsing.

- Consider what Emerging Markets have to teach us about the fundamentals
of being mobile.

Workshop Format

In this workshop we aim to foster a discussion among a diverse group of
researches and practitioners. The workshop is design to be highly
interactive and cover the short presentations, ideation and design
sessions, as well as discussions in an open format.

The number of participants will be limited to 25 people, selected based
on their submission and reviewed by the organizers. Participants are
asked to submit a position paper describing their interest and
experience in this field (up to 6 pages in the workshop
publication format http://www.ubicomp2007.org/program/workshops/).

The organizing committee will select participants based on these
extended abstracts. Please send the submission to Mirjana Spasojevic
<mirjana dot spasojevic at nokia dot com>.

Deadline for submission: June 10, 2007 (new deadline)

Announcement of acceptance: July 1, 2007