From:
Verena Fuchsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verena Fuchsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 08:35:33 -0400
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: ONLINE HALF-DAY WORKSHOP ON

*Designing for Tangible (Un-)Connectedness*

In conjunction with DIS 2020: https://dis.acm.org/2020/

Tuesday, June 7 2020, from 10 am to 4 pm (including lunch break)
Participation is free!

Workshop website: https://hci.sbg.ac.at/workshop-tangible-un-connectedness

SCOPE & AIMS
This online workshop focuses on the material manifestations of dislocation. We would like to discuss and materialise various aspects of remote relations (such as spatial conditions or the evanescence of being connected and respective ephemeral designs), a topic that became more than significant in the past months during the COVID-19 crisis. We will engage with the workshop topic hands-on through conceptualizing and (remotely) prototyping material artifacts as manifestations of distance, ephemerality, etc. We will also explicitly thematize the COVID-19 crisis through reflecting on current experiences of (un-)connecting and through a practical design exercise over distance during the workshop.
The aim of this half-day workshop is  to take a critical stance towards designs for connecting or un-connecting individuals, who are geographically separated, ranging from family members and friends to work colleagues.
Key questions guiding the workshop:
* What are the temporal, spatial and material dimensions of (un-)connectedness?
* How can we design for social (un-)connectedness?

PARTICIPATION
In order to express interest in participation, interested researchers are asked to provide a short narrative that covers the following questions:
* Share an experience / anecdote / design in three sentences
* Briefly motivate your interest in participation & what you hope to gain from participation
* Compose a short bio

Submissions via https://bit.ly/tangible-un-connectedness; participation is on a first come - first serve basis.

Deadline for expressions of interest: June 30, at noon.

We are looking forward to your contributions and a lively discussion and hands-on sessions during our online workshop!

ORGANIZERS
Verena Fuchsberger - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg
Janne Mascha Beuthel - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg
Dorothé Smit - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg
Philippe Bentegeac - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg
Manfred Tscheligi - Center for Human-Computer Interaction, University of Salzburg
Tanja Döring - Digital Media Lab, University of Bremen
Marije Nouwen - Meaningful Interactions Lab (Mintlab), KU Leuven
Bieke Zaman - Meaningful Interactions Lab (Mintlab), KU Leuven