Sender:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2015 14:18:17 +0000
From:
"Olav W. Bertelsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Last Call For Papers

Workshop on
Residents' Democratic Engagement in Public Housing and Urban Areas:
Challenges and Potentials for ICT

17th August 2015, Aarhus, Denmark
in Conjunction with the Fifth Decennial Aarhus Conference

Deadline for submissions: 22 May 2015 (extended)

Web page: http://users-cs.au.dk/olavb/HouseDemoWS/

The workshop aims to bring together perspectives on residents' engagement and influence in the
development of their housing estates and housing areas, and to explore experiences challenges
and potentials for the use of ICT in this context.

Public housing around the world is organized differently, and in particular the models for residents
influence have radically different forms. In Denmark residents are at the same time landlords and
tenants, but are subject to strong legal and municipal regulation. In Sweden residents are
organized in a strong union of tenants and have acquired wide rights to be consulted in important
cases. In many other countries, residents in public housing projects have no influence at all,
unless they organize specific campaign. Residents' engagement depends on a lot of different
circumstances, cultures, and conditions. If residents live in an estate because they did not have
any other options their engagement may be weak. We do not expect that engagement is
fundamentally different through social media than in actual everyday encounters, but we find it
interesting to explore how ICT can break barriers, constitute new forms of engagement etc.

The workshop will explore the challenges in the continued development of local democratic action,
and the potentials and limitations of ICT based solutions in that context. Similarly, residents
(citizens) democratic influence on housing conditions and regulations in general on community
and national level, supported by ICT will be explored. The workshop will have a specific focus on
housing to enable specific and detailed discussion, but will aim at a broader long-term impact.

Participants in the workshop will submit position papers that will be circulate in advance. In the
morning we explore a number of basic (legal etc.) structures for residents' involvement, together
with current issues that residents' engagement faces around the world. In the afternoon we explore
how ICT can reduce exclusion, enhance engagement and influence, and support creative action in
the continuous co-creation of surroundings for good life.

Call for papers
===========
We invite (position) papers from people interested or concerned with democratic engagement in
public housing; and information and communication technologies in that context. Potential
participants may come from academia, NGO’s, housing organizations, technology providers, etc.
They may be professionals, researchers, activists or something else.

Papers gives participants an opportunity to share insights into the field, empirical results,
experiments, theoretical accounts, etc., related to democratic engagement and ICT. We do expect
papers typically to present work in progress.

We are particularly interested in submissions that:
-- Report on challenges to democratic engagement in public housing (empirical or otherwise based),
relative to specific national systems, or
-- Report on experiments with new forms of participation – possibly mediated through technology, or
-- Present technological platforms representing new approaches to democratic engagement, or
-- Report on design projects in this context.

Papers can be up to 4 pages long formatted according to the ACM/SIGCHI double column
publication format (http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates), and should be
submitted in PDF format.
To submit the paper please go to our submission page at Easychair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hdws2015
Please direct questions about paper submissions to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>

All submissions will be reviewed by the workshop organizers.

Deadline for submission: 22 May.
(Submit abstract by May 22, and actual paper May 26)
Notification of acceptance/rejection:  7 June.
Camera-ready versions 22 June.
Deadline for early registration: 25 June.

Organizers
=========
Olav W. Bertelsen and Henrik Korsgaard, AU;
Konrad Tollmar and Yngve Sundblad KTH;
Carolin Schröder, TU-Berlin;
Christoph Henseler, Nexus Institute;
Ingrid Kuhn, Liquid Democracy.