Sender:
From:
Susanne Boll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:23:50 -0500
>>> Due to many requests we have extended the submission deadline to December 12, 2005.

                Multimedia Systems Journal

Special Issue on User-Centered Multimedia - Call for papers

Reaching the individual user with multimedia systems and applications involves far more than
merely considering technical user context such as system and network parameters for content
delivery, user interfaces, and interaction. In order to provide appealing multimedia experiences,
the users' preferences and information needs, their capabilities and interests not only have to be
taken into account, but in fact must become the focal point at all layers of multimedia system
design. The individual background and context of different users inevitably calls for individual
views onto media and user-centered meta data; content retrieval, summarization, and ranking
must focus on satisfying the individual user's interest and information need; composition,
delivery, and presentation of multimedia content need to be designed to meet user preferences
and situation, background and interest, abilities and inabilities, device capabilities, as well as
network characteristics; interactive mu!
 ltimedia user interfaces must exploit multimodality to address the current user's (mobile)
situation and context; authoring environments must enable user-aware capturing, authoring, and
annotation of multimedia content.

The theme of this special issue is to explore and bring together a multi-faceted view on user-
centered multimedia system and application design. We seek contributions that address key
challenges in the incorporation of the user in the design and usage of future multimedia
applications and multimedia systems.

The topics include, but are not limited to:

* Modeling, acquisition, and management of meta data enabling user-centered multimedia
content
* User-centered multimedia search, retrieval, and exploration
* New achievements in user-centered content composition and content presentation
* Situation and context-aware delivery of multimedia content over heterogeneous networks
* The design of multimodal user interfaces for user-aware and situation-aware multimedia
presentations
* Challenges and approaches for user integration in the multimedia authoring process

Submission Details:

Authors should submit original contributions, that have not been published at or submitted to
other conferences or journals, in electronic format (PDF) to the editors of the special issue
Susanne Boll ([log in to unmask]) and Utz Westermann ([log in to unmask]). The papers must be
written in English and must not exceed 30 pages (single column, double space, 12 pt font,
including figures, tables, and references).

About the Journal:

Multimedia System Journal is a well-known international journal, published by the Springer Verlag,
and sponsored by the ACM SIGMM organization. This journal publishes new research results in the
areas of multimedia systems, multimedia networking, multimedia applications, multimedia
security, multimedia education, multimedia coding, and multimedia retrieval systems.

For further details about the Multimedia Systems Journal please see:

http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-40100-70-1107311-0,00.html
http://cairo.cs.uiuc.edu/mmsj/upcomming.html

Important Dates:

Manuscript due: December 1st, 2005
Notification of acceptance: February 1st, 2006
Submission of the final manuscript: March 1st, 2006
Expected publication date: Summer 2006

Guest Editors:

Prof. Susanne Boll
University of Oldenburg