Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:26:50 +0000
FINAL CALL: Paper Deadline: June 20, 2018

3rd Workshop on
MULTI-SENSORIAL APPROACHES TO HUMAN-FOOD INTERACTION
Boulder, Colorado, October 16th, 2018
https://multisensoryhfi.wordpress.com/

Workshop in conjunction with:
20th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction
http://icmi.acm.org/2018/
Boulder, Colorado, USA, October 16-20th, 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS
Building on the successful development of the first and second workshop on Multi-Sensorial Approaches to Human-Food Interaction (Asia: Tokyo, November 2016; Europe: Glasgow, November 2017), a third workshop will be organized in the USA during the 20th ACM ICMI conference to be held in Boulder.

WORKSHOP
There is a growing interest in the context of Human-Food Interaction to capitalize on multisensory interactions in order to enhance our food- and drink- related experiences. This, perhaps, should not come as a surprise, given that flavour, for example, is the product of the integration of, at least, gustatory and (retronasal) olfactory, and can be influenced by all our senses. Variables such as food/drink colour, shape, texture, sound, and so on can all influence our perception and enjoyment of our eating and drinking experiences, something that new technologies can capitalize on in order to "hack" food experiences.

In this 3rd workshop on Multi-Sensorial Approaches to Human-Food Interaction, we again are calling for investigations and applications of systems that create new, or enhance already existing, eating and drinking experiences ('hacking' food experiences) in the context of Human-Food Interaction. Moreover, we are interested in those works that are based on the principles that govern the systematic connections that exist between the senses. Human Food Interaction also involves the experiencing food interactions digitally in remote locations. Therefore, we are also interested in sensing and actuation interfaces, new communication mediums, and persisting and retrieving technologies for human food interactions. Enhancing social interactions to augment the eating experience is another issue we would like to see addressed in this workshop.

In particular, we call for research that looks into the following topics:

* Using multisensory digital devices to manipulate eating and drinking atmospheres (e.g. colour, music in the room) and factors such as food presentation (e.g. size and/or shape of the plate, smell and/or colour of the food).
* Collecting user's responses derived from flavour experiences through digital devices. For example, tracking behavioural aspects (e.g. tracking movements, eating speed, and facial expressions), and/or using psychophysiological measurements.
* Utilizing multisensory experience design, technology, and playful interactions to influence food habits and choice.
* Understanding the role of technology in the social aspects of dining (e.g., social media and food pictures).
* Novel applications of food and technology in different contexts, for example during airplane flights, or space travel.
* Exploring the role of technology to enhance or otherwise influence social aspects surrounding eating behaviour.
* Defining the methods of associating the extended sensory data (smell, taste, feel) with traditional (AV, text) data. Food as data.

ORGANIZERS
*  Carlos Velasco, BI Norwegian Business School, Norway & University of Oxford, UK.
*  Anton Nijholt, University of Twente, Netherlands & Imagineering Institute, Malaysia.
*  Katsunori Okajima, Yokohama National University, Japan.
*  Marianna Obrist, SCHI Lab, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
*  Charles Spence, University of Oxford, UK.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Felipe Reinosos Carvalho, Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
Rob Comber, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Tom Gayler, University of Lancaster, UK
Simone Hantke, Technical University of Munich, Germany
Kasun T. Karunanayaka, Imagineering Institute, Iskandar Puteri, Johor, Malaysia
Bruno Mesz, Universidad Nacional de Quilmes, Bernal, Argentina
Oussama Metatla, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Aleksandra Mroczko-Wasowicz, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Takuji Narumi, University of Tokyo, Japan
Olivia Petit, INSEEC Business School, Bordeaux, France
Nimesha Ranasinghe, University of Maine, Orono, USA
Andreas Seiderer, Augsburg University, Germany
Lex Toet, TNO Human Factors, Soesterberg, Netherlands
Christoph Trattner, University of Bergen, Norway
Chi Thanh Vi, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Janice (Qian) Wang, University of Oxford, UK

GUIDELINES FOR PAPERS AND SUBMISSIONS
We invite the submission of long (8 pages) and short (4 pages) papers. Papers should be anonymous, and the review process will be double blind. The papers should follow the ACM template. Links to the templates are available from the ICMI 2018 website: https://icmi.acm.org/2018/ Papers should be submitted to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Workshop proceedings are separate from the main conference proceedings. The workshop papers will appear in the ACM Digital Library.

IMPORTANT DATES
Paper submissions: June 20, 2018
Paper notification: July 10, 2018
Camera-ready: July 31, 2018