Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2015 14:16:00 -0700
Sender:
From:
Tejinder Judge <[log in to unmask]>
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Are you a researcher, designer, academic, practitioner or student who
designs and creates technology for kids? We are organizing a workshop at IDC
2015 <http://idc2015boston.org>  on “Balancing the needs of children and
adults in the design of technology for children”. Here
<https://sites.google.com/site/idcbalancingneeds/home> is the workshop
website for more information.

We invite you to participate in this workshop by submitting one of the
following types of submissions:

   -

   A 2 to 4 page position paper in the CHI extended abstract
   <http://chi2015.acm.org/authors/format/#extendedformat> format.
   -

   A slide deck
   -

   A poster or series of information graphics.

In your submission, please describe your background in this area as
well as examples,
case studies, projects, findings, approaches, lessons learned, methods,
designs, theoretical considerations, challenges or other themes relevant to
the topic of the workshop and send it by email to

Deadline for submissions: March 30th, 2015
Notification of acceptance: April 20th, 2015

Participants are encouraged, but not required, to keep the following
questions in mind when crafting their submissions:

   -

   How do we design for a wide range of parent/child relationships? Should
   we assume that parents and children discuss the importance of adult goals
   (e.g. child’s learning, emotional development)?
   -

   How should we empower children through the design of child-friendly
   technology while keeping their best interests in mind?
   -

   Is there inherent conflict in designing products that put children's
   needs at the forefront versus designing products that promote a set of
   adult-generated values and needs?
   -

   Do adult goals get in the way of children’s autonomy and independence
   when using technology?
   -

   Should we have different guidelines for technologies that have different
   sets of goals? E.g. learning, exploration, self-expression, etc.

We look forward to seeing you at the workshop!

Lettie Malan [log in to unmask]

Tejinder K. Judge [log in to unmask]

Catalina Naranjo-Bock [log in to unmask]

--
Tejinder Judge, PhD | User Experience Researcher | [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>