Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 06:16:02 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Frank Vetere <[log in to unmask]>
Apologies for cross posting

CFP: DIS 2014 Workshop on Social NUI: Social Perspectives in Natural User
Interfaces http://www.socialnui.unimelb.edu.au/dis2014workshop

This one-day workshop will be held as part of the DIS 2014 Conference on
Designing Interactive Systems, held in Vancouver, Canada 21-25 June
http://dis2014.iat.sfu.ca/

IMPORTANT DATES
-  Submission by: 2 March 2014
-  Notification of acceptance: 31 March 2014
-  Camera Ready Copy: 20 April 2014
-  Workshop day: 21 or 22 June 2014

SCOPE OF THE WORKSHOP
The term Natural User Interfaces (NUI) has come to refer to a broad
collection of interactive technologies argued to draw upon existing human
capabilities for communication and human capacity to manipulate the
physical world. Examples include input modalities such as voice, gesture,
eye gaze, and body-based interaction. While the notion of naturalness is
widely deployed in motivating narratives around such technologies, it has
also come under increasing scrutiny and debate in recent years examining
what is meant by natural and challenging the basic claims of
intuitiveness, usability, learnability attributed to them. While such
critiques provide key elements of understanding these technologies, the
discussion often resides in the locus of interface between an actor and
the material elements of a NUI device. What is less attended to is a
concern with the social elements of NUI and how we conceive of and
understand these technologies in the social and collaborative context of
everyday social practices.Our focus here is on what we call Social NUI
which draws attention to different facets of NUI technology.  In the first
instance, we are concerned with how such technologies can be used in
support of collaborative contexts and facilitation of social interaction -
how we communicate together, play together, learn together and
collaboratively work together. In part this is about collaborative use of
these systems but it is also about how these systems can be specifically
designed for the cooperative production of particular interactions. In the
second instance, the social refers to a particular analytic orientation to
the understanding of these so-called NUI technologies; how they are made
sense of and given meaning in the context of particular practice. In this
respect then, we need to extend our analytical concerns around NUI
technologies to consider the meaning and values of them as they are
enacted in context.

SUBMISSIONS
We invite authors to submit 2-4 page position papers (ACM Extended
Abstract Format, see http://chi2013.acm.org/authors/format/) describing
original research on the design or interactive experience of Social NUI.
We are interested in Social NUI across a number of contexts: home, work,
public space, education and healthcare. Contributions may include:
·       Studies of collaborative use of NUI technologies
·       New NUI technologies for social interaction
·       Understanding of NUI in real world contexts
·       Domain specific aspects of social NUI
·       Technologies for collective NUI interaction
·       Approaches to the evaluation of social NUI
Submissions should be sent in PDF format to [log in to unmask]

For more information, please visit
http://www.socialnui.unimelb.edu.au/dis2014workshop

ORGANIZERS
Frank Vetere, University of Melbourne
Kenton O'Hara, Microsoft Research Cambridge
Jeni Paay, Aalborg University
Bernd Ploderer, University of Melbourne
Richard Harper, Microsoft Research Cambridge
Abigail Sellen, Microsoft Research Cambridge