!!!!! Submission deadline extended - January 23rd, 2015 !!!!!
IEEE FG’15 Doctoral Consortium – Call For Participation
The aim of the IEEE Int’l Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition Doctoral Consortium (FG’15 DC) is to provide a forum for Ph.D. students to discuss their research and career objectives with other students and senior researchers working in relevant fields, and get effective and timely feedback from the international research community. FG’15 Doctoral Consortium also aims to:
· provide a networking environment that will enable the doctoral students establish new contacts and collaborations with other international junior and senior researchers;
· equip the new generation of bright researchers with career options and inform them about the possibilities in academia and industry.
The Doctoral Consortium will be a half-day event, and will start with a catered lunch combined with an informal introduction by the senior researchers followed by Q&A and discussions with attendees. Attendance will be by invitation only.
There will be three oral sessions following the lunch. During each session, the accepted student participants will present their research work and will receive feedback from the invited committee. The committee members will discuss the work with the student and provide constructive comments and guidance on his/her research. The students will also present their work during a poster session in the main conference, receiving feedback from the rest of the community.
Student participants accepted in the Doctoral Consortium are eligible for consideration for some level of financial support on their travel.
We encourage submissions from Ph.D. students who are already working on their dissertations with some results already published or close to publication. Preference will be given to students who are far enough along to have formulated their dissertation topics. We encourage diversity and equality, both in terms of research topics as well as participating institutions and individuals. We do not expect more than two students to be invited from each institution to represent a diverse sample. Women are especially encouraged to apply. It is not necessary to have a paper appearing in FG 2015 in order to apply to participate.
Each student is expected to submit:
* A research statement to summarize the research topic, the working plan, and the progress to date. (Max 2 pages)
* A CV. (Max 1 page)
* Title and abstract of paper accepted by FG 2015 or the workshops in conjunction with FG 2015, if applicable. This is not a mandatory material for application.
* Applicants who did not submit a paper to FG 2015 or the workshops in conjunction with FG 2015 should submit an extended abstract (Max 4 pages) following the FG 2015 paper format. It should describe original work that is part of the doctoral work of the student applicant. We encourage the submission of work that is still in progress.
* A supporting letter from the thesis advisor that endorses the student’s application to this Doctoral Consortium and briefly describes the progress or status of the student’s thesis work.
* All materials should be prepared in PDF format and submitted through the FG submission system<https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/FG2015/> in the “Doctoral Consortium” track.
Selection and Review Process
All submissions will be peer-reviewed by both senior and junior TPC members. Paper topics should be related to the conference topics, which are given in the general call for papers<http://www.fg2015.org/participate/>.
1. Submissions will be evaluated by the following factors:
* Quality of the submission
* Expected benefits of the consortium for the student’s PhD research
* Student’s contribution to the diversity of topics, backgrounds, methodology, etc.
* All authors of accepted submissions are expected to attend the Doctoral Consortium and the main conference poster session.
2. The accepted papers will be included in conference proceedings.
Successful applicants are expected to actively participate in the whole program.
Only students who apply and are invited for participation in the Doctoral Consortium can be considered for financial support for travel, lodging and registration expenses. The number and size of the offers of financial support are contingent upon available funds.
Submission deadline: January 23rd, 2015
Notifications: February 6th, 2015
Camera-ready deadline: February 18th, 2015
Consortium Date: May 4th, 2015
For more information and updates on the IEEE FG’15 Doctoral Consortium, visit the Doctoral Consortium page<http://www.fg2015.org/participate/doctoral-consortium/> of the main conference website:
For further questions, contact the Doctoral Consortium Chairs Carlos Busso<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and Hatice Gunes<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
Dr Hatice Gunes
Senior Lecturer (Assoc Prof)
Queen Mary University of London
School of Electronic Eng. & Computer Science
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS U.K.
Phone: +44 20 7882 5349
Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org