Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:32:33 +0200
From: Michael Granitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Call for Contributions: 1st i-KNOW ALOA Challenge on Getting Answers
through Linked Open Data

14th International Conference on Knowledge Technologies and Data-driven
Business
16-19 September 2014, Graz, Austria
http://www.i-know.at/

Details:
http://i-know.tugraz.at/i-science/call-for-contributions-aloa-challenge

Motivation
--------

Linked Data demonstrated an enormous quantitative growth in recent
years. By having several hundred billion triples it has become one of
the largest interconnected knowledge bases of the world. However, it is
not necessarily the quantity, but the quality that matters.

Given the size of the database, we aim to answer the following questions
with the i-KNOW ALOA Challenge:

- What new insights can we discover through using Linked Data?
- What answers are contained in the Linked Open Data cloud?
- For which disciplines are those answers relevant?

Aims & Challenge
--------------

The 1st ALOA Challenge aims for contributions showing the value of
Linked Open Data. In particular we are looking for three kinds of
contributions:

1. Short research papers demonstrating the added value of Linked Open
Data in analytical processes and/or in decision making
2. Data sets generated from Open Data source like the European Union
Open Data Portal (https://open-data.europa.eu/en/data/), EuroStats or
from extracting facts out of research publications. The data sets should
show interesting insights, which could be hardly obtained without Open
Data. Data Sets should be prepared in a tabular form and published as
RDF Data Cube using tools we provide.
3. SPARQL Queries using Linked Open Data Endpoints like DBPedia
(https://open-data.europa.eu/en/data/) that show the value of the Linked
Open Data Cloud. For those who do not fluently speak SPARQL we provide a
set of tools to query and visualize Linked Open Data Endpoints (see
Tools Section below).

Data Sets and SPARQL Queries need to be accompanied by a short research
paper submitted to the conference explaining goals, intentions, user
groups etc.

We encourage researchers, practitioners and industry to demonstrate the
importance of Linked Data as valuable source in a knowledge driven society.

Tools
----

In order to reach beyond the Semantic Web Community and to address also
non-Semantic Web experts, we provide a set of online tools developed in
the EU-funded CODE Project. These tools allow you to

1. Aggregate Data from various Linked Data Repositories – the Linked
Data Query Wizard

2. Visualise the aggregated Data in order to identify potentially
interesting patterns – the Linked Data Visualisation Wizard

3. Publish (statistical) findings as RDF Data Cubes to provide an
unambiguous source of the raw data of your findings to the community.
Using the 42-data Data Extractor you can extract tables from research
papers or convert csv/xls files RDF Data Cubes to publish your findings.

4. Discuss open data resources, research papers and slides using the
42-data Question and Answering Portal. You can give your findings the
last polishing and present it to the community.

For all tools video tutorials will be provided.

Of course you can also use your own tool chain, which may include your
own software and tools that are publicly available (for example Weka,
Google Refine or Google Charts). We do not impose restrictions on the
tools you want to use; it is the discovery that matters and that the
discovery is made available as open data.

An Example of an Interesting Insight
----------------------------

So what exactly are we looking for? One great example of the potential
discoveries through using demographic data and visualization techniques
has been shown by Hans Rosling in his famous TED Talk.

        So does Linked Data empower us all to discover such amazing
relationships?

It is up to you to proof this. Since it is a Discovery challenge, we do
not restrict the kinds of discoveries. You can decide on the topic and
find out new and amazing things.
Judgment of Contributions

Contributions will be judged on the interestingness of the identified
knowledge and the methodological soundness of the approach. Judgment
will be done on academic standards via a single-blind reviewing process
by the i-KNOW Program Committee.

Submission, Presentation and the Discoverthon
-------------------------------------

The submission system for ALOA @ i-KNOW 2014 is available at
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aloaiknow2014

Research papers will be published as short paper in the i-KNOW
conference proceedings and selected contributions will be invited to a
special issue in the JuCS Journal (http://www.jucs.org/).

The papers will be presented in a special session at the i-KNOW
conference on 16-19 September 2014, Graz, Austria. Besides the paper
presentation, we will organize a half-day Disocverthon where all
participants get to gather to use their tools (or the tools provided by
us) to deepen their discoveries. We aim to generate new ideas on how to
use Linked Open Data and to raise new questions that should be answered
by the Global Giant Graph.

i-KNOW is well known for their stimulating atmosphere and high-quality
keynotes. So we look forward to your presentations and for synergies
created with both conferences. See the webpages http://i-know.tugraz.at/.

Important Dates
-------------

     10.03.2014 – Tool release; detailed instructions at
http://42-data.org/questions/groups/560 (more information is also
available at http://code-research.eu/results)
     05.05.2014 – Submission of short papers showing your discoveries
and methodology
     02.06.2014 – Notification of Acceptance
     27.06.2014 – Submission of Camera Ready Papers
     16.09.2014 – Presentation of Results including the on-site Discoverthon

Organizing Chairs:

     Michael Granitzer, University of Passau, Michael Granitzer
     Patrick Hφfler, Know-Center Graz, [log in to unmask]
     Florian Stegmaier, University of Passau,