Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:50:36 -0500
Know Thyself: Monitoring and Reflecting on Facets of One's Life, A CHI 2010 Workshop

April 10, 2010, Atlanta, GA

Organizers:
Ian Li, Carnegie Mellon University
Anind Dey, Carnegie Mellon University
Jodi Forlizzi, Carnegie Mellon University

Workshop website: http://www.personalinformatics.org/chi2010/

People strive to know themselves more by collecting information about their behaviors,
habits, and thoughts. A growing class of applications called personal informatics is
appearing that facilitates the collection of personal information and the reflection on that
information. These systems satisfy people's innate curiosity about themselves and
encourage holistic engagement with one's life.

This workshop will bring together researchers in a wide range of disciplines to discuss
challenges and explore opportunities for human-computer interaction in the growing field
of personal informatics. We will discuss technical and design issues related to collecting
and reflecting on personal information. We will discuss the benefits of reflecting on
information about different facets of one's life, such as increased self-awareness, holistic
engagement with life, and achievement of life balance. Key research areas include:
ubiquitous computing, life logging, visualizations, persuasive technologies, interaction
design, psychology of self-knowledge and self-awareness.

We invite technologists, designers, and behavioral scientists working on topics related to
personal informatics. Submit a position paper (2 to 4 pages) in the ACM Extended
Abstracts format about your ongoing work, recent results, study methods, or perspectives
on personal informatics. Papers will be peer-reviewed and 10-15 selected by relevance
and likelihood of stimulating and contributing to this discussion. Email your paper in PDF
format to [log in to unmask] with subject "CHI 2010 Workshop Submission" by January 6,
2010.

Important Dates
* Papers Due: January 6, 2010
* Notification: January 20, 2010
* Workshop: April 10, 2010

Thanks,
Ian

--
Ian Li
PhD Student, HCII, Carnegie Mellon University