I apologize for any cross-posting of this announcement.
3rd International Workshop on
High Performance Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (HiBB)
held in conjunction with
Rhodes Island, Greece
August 27th - 31st, 2012
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO: JUNE 11, 2012
* * * CALL FOR PAPERS * * *
High-throughput technologies (e.g. microarray and mass spectrometry) and
clinical diagnostic tools (e.g. medical imaging) are producing an
increasing amount of experimental and clinical data. In such a scenario,
large scale databases and bioinformatics tools are key tools for
organizing and exploring biological and biomedical data with the aim to
discover new knowledge in biology and medicine.
High-performance computing may play an important role in many phases of
life sciences research, from raw data management and processing, to data
analysis and integration, till data exploration and visualization. In
particular, at the raw data layer, Grid infrastructures may offer the huge
data storage needed to store experimental and biomedical data, while
parallel computing can be used for basic pre-processing (e.g. parallel
BLAST) and for more advanced analysis (e.g. parallel data mining). In such
a scenario, novel parallel architectures (e.g. e.g. CELL processors, GPUs,
FPGA, hybrid CPU/FPGA) coupled with emerging programming models may
overcome the limits posed by conventional computers to the mining and
exploration of large amounts of data.
At an higher layer, emerging biomedical applications need to use in a
coordinated way both bioinformatics tools, biological data banks and
patient’s clinical data, that require seamless integration, privacy
preservation and controlled sharing. Service Oriented Architectures and
semantic technologies, such as ontologies, may allow the building and
deployment of the so called “collaboratories”, where experimental research
may be conducted by remote scientists in a collaborative way.
The goal of HiBB is to bring together scientists in the fields of high
performance computing, computational biology and medicine to discuss,
among the others, the organization of large scale biological and
biomedical databases and the parallel implementation of bioinformatics
algorithms and biomedical applications. Furthermore, the use of novel
parallel architectures and dedicated hardware to implement bioinformatics
and biomedical algorithms will be discussed.
TOPICS OF INTEREST
The workshop is seeking original research papers presenting applications
of parallel and high performance computing to biology and medicine. Topics
of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Large scale biological and biomedical databases
- Data integration and ontologies in biology and medicine
- Parallel bioinformatics algorithms
- Parallel visualization and exploration of biomedical data
- Parallel visualization and analysis of biomedical images
- Computing environments for large scale collaboration
- Scientific workflows in bioinformatics and biomedicine
- (Web) Services for bioinformatics and biomedicine
- Grid Computing for bioinformatics and biomedicine
- Peer-To-Peer Computing for bioinformatics and biomedicine
- Emerging architectures and programming models (e.g. Cell, GPUs) for
bioinformatics and biomedicine
- Parallel processing of bio-signals
- Modeling and simulation of complex biological processes
The workshop will take place on (To Be Announced).
It is scheduled as full-day.
The program is not available yet.
PAPER SUBMISSION, REGISTRATION AND PUBLICATION
We invite original previously unpublished contributions. Submission
implies that at least one author will register for the workshops at
Euro-Par 2012 and present the paper in the workshop session, if accepted.
Full papers should not exceed 10 pages in the Springer LNCS style
LNCS Latex style here.
Paper submission has to be performed by using the HiBB EasyChair
submission server (https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hibb2012).
In case of problems, authors may send their manuscript in PDF to the
workshop chair: cannataro AT unicz.it.
Papers accepted for publication must also be supplied in source form
(Latex or Word).
All accepted and presented papers will be included in the Workshops
proceedings that will be published in a separate Springer LNCS Euro-Par
2012 Workshop volume after the conference.
Authors of accepted papers will be required to sign up a Springer
JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUE
At the end of the workshop, we plan to invite the best 4-6 papers of the
workshop for a special section on an international journal.
Full papers submission: EXTENDED TO JUNE 11, 2012
Decision Notification: July 6, 2012
Final papers due: July 20, 2012
Workshop session: To Be Announced
Camera ready papers for EuroPar Workshop Proceedings: October 1, 2012
Mario Cannataro, University Magna Grćcia of Catanzaro, Italy
PROGRAM COMMITTEE (TO BE CONFIRMED)
1. Pratul K. Agarwal, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
2. David A. Bader, College of Computing, Georgia University of Technology,
3. Ignacio Blanquer; Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
4. Daniela Calvetti, Case Western Reserve University, USA
5. Werner Dubitzky, University of Ulster, UK
6. Ananth Y. Grama, Purdue University, USA
7. Concettina Guerra, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA
8. Vicente Hernández, Univ. Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
9. Salvatore Orlando, University of Venezia, Italy
10. Omer F. Rana, Cardiff University, UK
11. Richard Sinnott, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
12. Fabrizio Silvestri, ISTI-CNR, Italy
13. Erkki Somersalo, Case Western Reserve University, USA
14. Paolo Trunfio, University of Calabria, Italy
15. Albert Zomaya, University of Sydney, Australia
Sostieni la Ricerca e le iniziative dell'Universitŕ degli Studi Magna Graecia di Catanzaro.
Apponi la tua firma nel riquadro della dichiarazione dei redditi alla voce "Finanziamento agli enti della ricerca scientifica e della universitŕ", sia che si tratti del Modello 730, del Modello Unico 2012 oppure del CUD 2012.
Trascrivi il codice fiscale dell'Universitŕ: 97026980793
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org