From:
Tadashi Okoshi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tadashi Okoshi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2019 15:54:34 +0900
[Apologies if you got multiple copies of this email.]
[image: wellcomp2019.jpg]

*Call for Papers: WellComp 2019 (Second International Workshop on Computing
for Well-Being)*

in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2019

London, UK

*23:59 (AoE), June 21, 2019 - Submission Deadline (extended!)*

September 9 or 10, 2019 - Workshop Date

http://WellComp.org/ <http://wellcomp.org/2019/>

Workshop Theme and Goals

-------------------------------------

In the advancing ubiquitous computing age, computing technology has already
spread into many aspects of our daily lives, such as office work, home and
house-keeping, health management, transportation, or even cities. We have
been experiencing that much of the influence from those technologies are
both contributing better quality of life (QoL) of our individual and
organizational lives, and causing new types of stress and pain at the same
time. The term “well-being” has recently has gained attention as a term
that covers our general happiness and even more concrete good conditions in
our lives, such as physical, psychological, and social wellness.

An increasing number of researchers, engineers, and people are paying
attention to how their work can contribute to the better quality of lives,
social good, and well-being. In spite of recent activities in the academia
and the society, unified academic research activities on computing and
well-being is anticipated within the ubicomp research community. Active
research not only in the HCI domain but in various other ubicomp research
areas (systems, mobile/wearable sensing, mobile computing, persuasive
applications and services, behavior change, etc.) are needed towards
drawing the big picture of “computing for well-being” from different
viewpoints and layers of computing. For example, an additional viewpoint of
users’ well-being in activity recognition researches may invent new types
of applications that comprehensively cover different types of recognition
of user’s physical, mental and social activities. Ever since Mark Weiser
introduce the term of ubiquitous computing, the ubiquity of computing in
our daily lives and the society has been certainly progressing. Now it is
time for the community to more seriously envision the benefits that such
computing technologies can bring.

Users of digital devices are increasingly confronted with a tremendous
amount of notifications that appear on multiple devices and screens in
their environment. If a user owns a smartphone, a tablet, a smartwatch and
a laptop and an email-client is installed on all of these devices an
incoming e-mail produces up to four notifications – one on each device. In
the future, we will receive notifications from all our ubiquitous devices.
Therefore, we need a smart attention management for incoming notifications.
One way for a less interrupting attention management could be the use of
ambient representations of incoming notifications.

Following our successful 1st WellComp 2018, this year we will bring
together people from industry and academia who are active in the areas of
activity recognition, mental health, social good, context-awareness and
ubiquitous computing. The main objective of WellComp 2019 is to share the
latest research in various areas in computing, related to users’ physical,
mental, and social well-being. Especially this year’s special attention
will be paid for “Well-Being Metrics” and Well-Being Intervention”.
Relevance to such topics will be considered in the paper review and
selection process. Furthermore, the workshop aims to identify future
research challenges, research opportunities, and applications of our
research outcomes to the society.

The topics of interest include -but are not limited- to the following:

   - Definition and representation of well-being in computing
   - Predictive modeling of well-being metric and computational models
   - Systems with well-being-awareness
   - Measurement of well-being with ubicomp technologies
   - Management of physical wellness and well-being
   - Management of mental health and well-being
   - Management of social good and well-being
   - Innovative well-being applications
   - Behavior design / feedback design for well-being application
   - Computing and well-being of children, disabilities, or elderly people
   - People's well-being in various situations (e.g., smart home, smart
   cities and connected communities, classes)
   - People's well-being and new types of community driven by ICT (e.g.,
   sharing economy)

Submission details

------------------------

*A paper should have a length of maximum 4 pages in the ACM SIGCHI portrait
format *(The template can be downloaded here:
https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template. Alternatively, the
Overleaf version can be found here:
https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/acm-conference-proceedings-master-template/pnrfvrrdbfwt
<https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template>. Latex documents
should use the "sigchi" template style. Word users should use the interim
template downloadable from the the ACM link above. ).
A paper should have a length of maximum 6 pages in the new SIGCHI Extended
Abstract format (make sure you are using the new single column version
available at the ACM web site
<https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template>)
*UPDATE (June 14):*

l  *The required template is changed according to the inquiry from the
UbiComp organizers.*

l  For those who already submitted their papers in "the new EA format", you
can change your template to the "ACM SIGCHI portrait" template in the
camera-ready submission.

l  For those who preparing their papers right now, basically what you
should do is to change “\documentclass[sigchi-a]{acmart}” to
“\documentclass[sigchi]{acmart}”.

The papers will be reviewed by at least two workshop organizers. Successful
submissions will have the potential to raise discussion, provide insights
for other attendees, and illustrate open challenges and potential
solutions. All accepted publications will be published on the workshop
website and in the ACM Digital Library. At least one author of each
accepted paper needs to register for the conference and the workshop
itself. During the workshop, each paper will be presented briefly by one of
the authors. In addition, there will be room for demonstrations as well as
discussions.

All papers need be anonymized.

Submissions or any questions should be mailed to wellcomp-org [AT]
ht.sfc.keio.ac.jp.
Please submit your paper on EasyChair at
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wellcomp19

Important Dates

--------

*23:59 (AoE), June 21, 2019 - Submission Deadline (extended)*

23:59 (AoE), July 5, 2019 - Notification of Acceptance (extended)

23:59 (AoE), July 12, 2019 – Camera-ready Submission Deadline

September 9 or 10, 2019 - Workshop Date

Organizing Committee

Tadashi Okoshi (Keio University)
Jin Nakazawa (Keio University)

JeongGil Ko (Ajou University)

Fahim Kawsar (Nokia Bell Labs.)

Susanna Pirttikangas (University of Oulu)