From:
Miltiadis Lytras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miltiadis Lytras <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:10:39 -0500
Thomas Gruber interview available in AIS SIGSEMIS 1(3) 2004
(http://www.sigsemis.org/newsletter/october2004/tom_gruber_interview_sigsemi
s ) is an excellent piece of knowledge.

I had a discussion with Tom and we would be grateful if you share your
reflections, critical thinking, thoughts and ideas on the key propositions
of Tom. In a later stage Tom could provide more insights on your thoughts
and feedback.

Use this link to post your commnents on Tom's Interview:

http://www.sigsemis.org/bulletinboard/grubersInterview

Please comment on:

(1)     His reconsideration of its classical definition that “ontology is a
specification of a conceptualization”

·       “Well, the most important components of that definition of ontology
<http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/kst/what-is-an-ontology.html> are that the
ontology is representation artifact (a specification), distinct from the
world it models, and that it is a designed artifact, built for a purpose. I
think most computer scientists get the distinction between a specification
and the world, even for synthetic worlds.  In retrospect, I would not
change the definition but I would try to emphasize that we design
ontologies.”

(2)     His new insights to the concepts of informal, semi-formal and
formal ontologies

·       So, to conclude, I would say that all practical ontologies are
semiformal, and the “sweet spot” is an ontology that specifies clearly how
you can commit to it.  Both the formal and informal parts should be
designed to make it easy to play by the rules: the formal by automated
testing and the informal by well-written documentation.

(3) His overall interview.

Use this link to post your commnents on Tom's Interview:

http://www.sigsemis.org/bulletinboard/grubersInterview

Finaly a great thank to all of you for your support. We have already 5800
downloads of the Bulletin 1(3) 2004!!!!

Best Miltiadis

Dr. Miltiadis D. Lytras
Association for Information Systems, SIG on Semantic Web and Information
Systems AIS SIGSEMIS, http://www.sigsemis.org
International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IDEA Group,
http://www.idea-group.com/journals/details.asp?id=4625)

International Journal of Knowledge and Learning (IJKL) -
http://www.inderscience.com/ijkl/
International Journal of Learning and Change (IJLC)-
http://www.inderscience.com/ijlc/
International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies (IJMSO)-
http://www.inderscience.com/ijmso/
ECIS Track on Semantic Web and Information Systems:
http://www.ecis2005.de/semantic.html