From:
Myounghoon Jeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Myounghoon Jeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2015 19:40:02 +0900
We apologize for any cross-postings.

*Call for Participation*

*Workshop* on "*In-vehicle Auditory Interactions*" at *ICAD* (International
Conference on Auditory Display) 2015

Graz, Austria, July 6, 2015

https://sites.google.com/a/mtu.edu/icad2015-in-vehicle-auditory-interact
ions-workshop

*Abstract: *The scope and prevalence of in-vehicle technologies has
dramatically expanded, which increases drivers' visual, physical, and
mental workload. In an attempt to reduce this workload, but allow for
necessary interactions, auditory displays have been used in vehicles
over the years, but only for basic information transmission. The goal
of our joint workshop is to discuss the use of auditory displays for
interaction in the vehicle at a more advanced level in order to offer
better driver experience in rapidly changing vehicle environments. This
full day workshop will secure sufficient time for intermingling
participants, presenting conceptual sounds, discussing issues, and
integrating ideas.

*Objectives and Description:* We have five explicit goals in our
workshop:

* Provide an organized discussion about the topic of how auditory
  interactions can be efficiently and effectively applied to in-vehicle
  contexts;

* Build and nurture a new community that bridges the auditory display
  community with the automotive user interface community;

* Discuss and exchange ideas interactively within and across sub-
  communities;

* Suggest promising directions for future trans-disciplinary work; and

* Yield both immediate and long-term community-, research-, and
  design-guidance products.

To this end, we will invite researchers and practitioners from all
backgrounds, who are interested in auditory display and automotive user
interface fields. In this discussion and the formation of future
directions, we will particularly focus on "unobtrusive interfaces" and
aspects of "gamification". Unobtrusiveness will allow auditory displays
to be informative, but stay at the periphery of the driver's attention
and be easily accepted by end users. To accomplish this, we will
discuss several design guidelines based on blended sonification.
Gamification can promote users to keep their motivation for behavioral
change for a longer period of time (e.g., in the context of eco-driving
applications). Through achieving the goals of this workshop, we will
provide an opportunity to move this integrated field  forward and build
a solid community that includes ICAD.

*Topics of Interests:*

* Sonification for eco-driving (fuel efficiency, etc.)

* Collision warning sound design

* In-vehicle speech-recognition; driver & vehicle agent dialogue

* Auditory displays for secondary and tertiary tasks (e.g.,
infotainment)

* Blended sonification and unobtrusive/inattentive/subliminal auditory
  notifications

* Sound design for Personal Navigation Design (PND)

* In-vehicle application of spatial (or 3D) sounds

* Electric vehicle sound design

* Auditory interactions and gamification

* Auditory interactions between electric/autonomous vehicles and road
  users (in the exterior)

* Auditory interactions in the autonomous vehicles

* Auditory interactions between connected vehicle

* Driving performance data; traffic data sonification

* Novel in-vehicle sonic interaction design

*Submissions:* Participants are encouraged to submit their 1-page
abstract, 2-4 page paper, sound/movie file, or auditory concepts
(details on the website) by *June 12th* using the WS submission system at
https://www.pervasive.jku.at/Research/Conferences/ICAD2015/submissions

*Peculiarities: *This workshop is a joint effort of two groups of
organizers. The original workshop titles were "In-vehicle auditory
interactions" (1) and "Auditory displays in the car for supporting
fuel-efficient driving: About unobtrusiveness and gamification" (2)

*Organizers:*
Myounghoon "Philart" Jeon ([log in to unmask]), Michigan Tech (1),
Ignacio Alvarez, Intel Corporation (1)
Thomas M. Gable, Georgia Tech (1),
Steven Landry, Michigan Tech (1),
Michael A. Nees, Lafayette College (1),
Andreas Riener, Johannes Kepler University Linz (1),
and Bruce N. Walker, Georgia Tech (1),

Jan Hammerschmidt ([log in to unmask]), Bielefeld University
 (2),
Ren√© T√ľnnermann, Bielefeld University (2), and
Thomas Hermann, Bielefeld University (2).

Looking forward to seeing you in Graz in July.
If you have  any questions, just  email  Philart ([log in to unmask]) or
Jan ([log in to unmask]).

Myounghoon "Philart" Jeon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences
Department of Computer Science

*Mind Music Machine Lab
<https://sites.google.com/site/mindmusicmachinelab/>*
*Michigan Tech*nological University
Meese 205, Rekhi 202, 1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931
(906) 487-3273