From:
Jim Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2020 21:11:19 -0600
ACM Transactions on Human-Robot Interaction

We are pleased to announce the publication of Volume 9, Issue 1, January 2020.
https://dlnext.acm.org/toc/thri/2020/9/1

Current Issue

Learning the Correct Robot Trajectory in Real-Time from Physical Human Interactions
Dylan P. Losey, Marcia K. O'Malley
Abstract: We present a learning and control strategy that enables robots to harness physical human interventions to update their trajectory and goal during autonomous tasks. Within the state of the art, the robot typically reacts to physical interactions by ...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3354139.

Probabilistic Human Intent Recognition for Shared Autonomy in Assistive Robotics
Siddarth Jain, Brenna Argall
Abstract: Effective human-robot collaboration in shared autonomy requires reasoning about the intentions of the human partner. To provide meaningful assistance, the autonomy has to first correctly predict, or infer, the intended goal of the human collaborator. In ...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3359614.

A Robotic Framework to Facilitate Sensory Experiences for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Preliminary Study
Hifza Javed, Rachael Burns, Myounghoon Jeon, Ayanna M. Howard, Chung Hyuk Park
Abstract: The diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in children is commonly accompanied by a diagnosis of sensory processing disorders. Abnormalities are usually reported in multiple sensory processing domains, showing a higher prevalence of unusual ...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3359613.

Speech Melody Matters—How Robots Profit from Using Charismatic Speech
Kerstin Fischer, Oliver Niebuhr, Lars C. Jensen, Leon Bodenhagen
Abstract: In this article, we address to what extent the proverb “the sound makes the music” also applies to human-robot interaction, and whether robots could profit from using speech characteristics similar to those used by charismatic speakers like Steve Jobs. ...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3344274.

Now We’re Talking: Learning by Explaining Your Reasoning to a Social Robot
Frances M. Wijnen, Daniel P. Davison, Dennis Reidsma, Jan Van Der Meij, Vicky Charisi, Vanessa Evers
Abstract: This article presents a study in which we explored the effect of a social robot on the explanatory behavior of children (aged 6--10) while working on an inquiry learning task. In a comparative experiment, we offered children either a baseline Computer ...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3345508.

Adapt, Explain, Engage—A Study on How Social Robots Can Scaffold Second-language Learning of Children
Thorsten Schodde, Laura Hoffmann, Sonja Stange, Stefan Kopp
Abstract: Social robots are increasingly applied to support children’s learning, but how a robot can foster (or may hinder) learning is still not fully clear. One technique used by teachers is scaffolding, temporarily assisting learners to achieve new skills or ...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3366422.

A Survey of Robot-Assisted Language Learning (RALL)
Natasha Randall
Abstract: Robot-assisted language learning (RALL) is becoming a more commonly studied area of human-robot interaction (HRI). This research draws on theories and methods from many different fields, with researchers utilizing different instructional methods, robots,...
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3345506.

ACM THRI welcomes contributions from across HRI and Robotics. For details on the journal, information for authors, and upcoming Special Issues, please visit the ACM THRI website: http://thri.acm.org

Odest Chadwicke Jenkins
Selma Sabanovic