From:
Catherine Plaisant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Catherine Plaisant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:42:23 -0500
Direct link to web version:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/about/events/open-house-99/

16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th - 16th

                 Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
       University of Maryland Institute of Advanced Computer Studies
                    http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/

                16th Annual Symposium & Open House

                       Friday June 18, 1999

           (Pre-Symposium Workshops Thursday June 17, 1999)

                 to register: contact Cecilia Kullman
                        Tel (301) 405-0304
                        Fax (301) 314-9658

Organized with support from:
  Institute of Advanced Computer Studies
  Department of Computer Science
  College of Library and Information Services
  Department of Psychology
  Institute for Systems Research
  College of Education
  Academic Information Technology Services
  College of Computer, Mathematical, and Physical Sciences

PRE-SYMPOSIUM WORKSHOPS - June 17th
                                    (more details at the end of message)

W1- Designing New Technologies for Children
        Allison Druin
W2- Zoomable User Interfaces (ZUIs)
        Ben Bederson
W3- Usability and Social Considerations in On-line Community Design
        Jean Gasen and Jenny Preece
W4- Design and Implementation of Query Previews for Digital Libraries
        Maya Ventkatraman and Catherine Plaisant

SYMPOSIUM AND OPEN HOUSE PROGRAM - June 18th

8:15 SIGN IN AND COFFEE: Tyser Auditorium, Van Munching Hall, Room 1212
(Register by June 5th - see registration information below)

9:00-2:30 Lectures

WELCOME: Ben Shneiderman, Head of HCIL; Joseph JaJa, Director of UMIACS

INFORMATION VISUALIZATION

Finding Earth Science Data Using Query Previews
        M. Ventkatraman, K. Ngamkajornwiwat, E. Tanin, C. Plaisant

Visualizing Legal Information
   Dynamic Queries for Categorical Information
        D. Feldman, B. Shneiderman
   Browsing Session History and Visualizing Case Histories
        A. Komlodi, B. Allen
   Snap-together Visualizations
        C. North

Multimedia Digital Libraries
        B. Allen, D. Oard, W.  Ding, L. Slaughter, J. Bush

Navigating Web  Hierarchies: Sequential or Simultaneous Menus?
        K. Norman, H. Hochheiser

Zoomable User Interfaces
        B. Bederson, B. McAlister, M. Jump

LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS

SimPLE: Simulation Processes in a Learning Environment
    Development Environment Architecture
        A. Rose, G. Rubloff, N. Kositsyna
    Application to Advanced Transportation Systems
        C. Plaisant, P. Tarnoff, S. Keswani
    The Learning Historian
        R. Salter

Designing Technology with Children
        A. Druin, J. Montemayor, A. Boltman

Collaborative Story Telling Tools for Children
        A. Boltman, B. Bederson, J.P. Hourcade

2:30-5:30 DEMONSTRATIONS - OPEN HOUSE

IBM Teaching/Learning Theater, Van Munching Hall - Room 2203

Computer Science/UMIACS, AV Williams Bldg - Room 3174
   Also joint demos with Education Dept., Geography dept., Lab. for
   Language and Media Processing and Center for Advanced
   Transportation Systems.

Psychology, Zoology-Psychology Bldg - Room 3111

College of Library and Information Services, Hornbake Library - Room 4121

Space Sciences Lab, Neutral Buoyancy Research Facility - Room 2100C

MATERIALS RECEIVED

Registrants for the HCIL 16th Annual Symposium will receive:

*   ONE HOUR VIDEOTAPE of our HCIL 1998 Video Reports

*   A  set of recent TECHNICAL REPORTS and SLIDES from the talks

*   15% off the $69 price of new 686 page full color book of reprints
    plus commentary, READINGS IN INFORMATION VISUALIZATION: USING
    VISION TO THINK, Stuart Card, Jock Mackinlay, & Ben Shneiderman,
    (Eds.), Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 1999

*   15% off the $39.95 price of the new 320 page book which includes 11
    chapters by authors from around the world discussing how and why new
    technologies for children are designed. THE DESIGN OF CHILDREN'S
    TECHNOLOGY, Allison Druin (Ed.) Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 1999.

REGISTRATION

----------------cut here and mail, fax or email------------------------

               HCIL Annual Symposium and Open House 1999
                             REGISTRATION

Mail to:  Cecilia Kullman, UMIACS,
AV Williams Building, University of Maryland,
College Park, MD 20742-3251
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
(301) 405-0304, fax (301) 314-9658

SYMPOSIUM (Friday June 18th)

Full fee includes videotape, technical reports, handouts,
book discount and lunch.
       ____ $170 Industry/Government

University faculty & staff fee includes videotape,
technical reports, handouts, book discount and lunch.
      ____  $100 Faculty/Staff
            (UMd and other academic institutions)

Free registrations without materials or lunch will be
granted to full-time undergraduate and graduate
students space permitting   _____ Free Student

Cannot attend, but would like a materials package
      ____  $70 materials package only

WORKSHOPS (Friday June 17th)

Registration requires PRIOR AUTHORIZATION from
workshop organizer:   _______  Workshop number

Workshop Registration includes lunch and handout
____$50 (if not registered for Symposium)
____$30 (with registration for symposium)

Please enclose a check made payable to The University of Maryland, a
purchase order with the reference UMIACS/HCIL-SOH98 or supply charge
card information.  To qualify for a 10% reduction you must register a
group of 3 or more from the same organization at the same time.

Credit card :   _ Visa    _ MasterCard   _ Discover

         Name: ______________________________
         (as it appears on the card)

         Card Number: _______________________

         Expiration date: _____________
         (we recommend mail or fax only for credit card info)

PARKING - PARKING - PARKING - PARKING - PARKING - PARKING

We can provide you with a parking permit to park in Lot 1 near Van
Munching Hall if your request is received by June 5th. Otherwise you
can park at the meters or in the parking garages, but remember to
bring plenty of quarters for the parking meters!

       __ Please send parking permit

A free UMd shuttle also runs every 15 minutes from the College Park
Metro station to the Student Union in the center of campus.

Expect a good amount of walking to see all the demos.

A map, the list of Technical reports and videos, and more information
will be posted on our website as it become available.

PRE-SYMPOSIUM WORKSHOPS
June 17, 1999

During the day prior to the Symposium and Open House, four workshops
will enable small groups to focus on special topics .  Each workshop
has different requirements for participation.  Please consult the HCIL
website (www.cs.umd.edu/hcil) for details, or contact the workshop
organizer directly .  The workshops will run from 10am to 4 pm on June
17th.

W1- Designing New Technologies for Children
 Allison Druin - ([log in to unmask])

New processes for designing advanced technologies for children are
emerging. We will discuss the role of children in this process, the
importance of interdisciplinary partners, and the complexities of
technology evaluation. Workshop participants will be asked to share
their past experiences and examples from the University of Maryland
will be presented.

W2- Zoomable User Interfaces (ZUIs)
 Ben Bederson - ([log in to unmask])

ZUIs are an alternative to traditional windows-based approaches of
information visualization.  We'll discuss ZUIs and their trade-offs,
show examples, and describe the Java software we built (that you can
use) to build zoomable applications.  This workshop will end with
group design sessions.

W3- Usability and Social Considerations in On-line Community Design
Jean Gasen and Jenny Preece - ([log in to unmask])

On-line communities are supported by a variety of software.
Increasingly communities consist of combinations of bulletin boards,
listservs, chats and web pages. As more people come onto the net the
limitations of current software and human moderation capabilities will
increase. In this workshop we will identify problems and document
possible solutions.

W4-Design and Implementation of Query Previews for Digital Libraries
Maya Ventkatraman- Catherine Plaisant ([log in to unmask])

Query Previews allows users to rapidly gain an understanding of the
content and scope of a digital collection.  It uses overviews and
previews of abstracted metadata so that users perform rapid and
interactive elimination of undesired data. This technology transfer
workshop is aimed at NASA data managers but other developers ready to
apply our techniques are welcome.

Z-END
             http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/about/events/open-house-99/