From:
Jeffrey Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:12:59 -0400
Call for Participation:

UIST 20th Anniversary Cover Contest and Video Collection

Proceedings Cover Contest Deadline:  July 13th

This year the User Interface & Software Technology (UIST) conference will
celebrate its 20th anniversary.  As part of the anniversary planning, we are
organizing two activities to commemorate past conferences and collect
materials that were not digitally archived.

UIST Proceedings Cover Contest
------------------------------

To commemorate past conferences, we will hold a contest to design an image
for the cover of the conference proceedings. This image will be used not
only on the cover, but also on the conference DVD, program, web site and
possibly other promotional materials. The winning cover image will be chosen
by a group of past and present conference committee members, with preference
given to images that reflect the topic of the conference and/or its history.
The winning cover artist will be acknowledged in the conference opening
presentation, on the web site, in the conference program and the proceedings.

To aid in the creation of a design that reflects the history of UIST, we
will make available to entrants a repository of all papers presented at the
conference and images of all previous proceedings covers. To obtain access
to this information, please send e-mail to [log in to unmask]**.

To be considered, the cover image must include the following elements:

 * The short and full names of the conference: "UIST 2007" and
   "Proceedings of the 20th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface
   Software and Technology"
 * The date of the conference: October 7-10, 2007
 * The location of the conference: Newport, Rhode Island
 * Logos for ACM Press, SIGCHI, and SIGGRAPH (will be provided)

The image will be printed on the cover in full color with one solid
background color. The image should be designed to fit on a US standard
8.5x11 inch page with minimum 0.5 inch margins. Submitted images may be of
low resolution, however the artist must be able to provide a high resolution
image (between 300 and 600 dpi) promptly upon request. The winner will also
be required to sign a copyright form allowing the ACM to publish their image
as part of the UIST proceedings.

Entries should be submitted to http://www.precisionconference.com/~sigchi/
by 11:59pm on July 13, 2007. All images submitted before the deadline
meeting the above requirements will be considered.

The winner will be announced July 27. A high resolution image and a signed
copyright form will be required from the winning artist by August 6.

If you have any questions, please send e-mail to [log in to unmask]

** For copyright reasons, entrants wishing to use the repository of
conference materials must sign an agreement saying that they will not
distribute those materials further or use them for any reason other than
creating a cover design.

UIST 20th Anniversary Video Collection
--------------------------------------

We are attempting to collect high-quality versions of videos published at
previous UIST conferences. In particular, we are interested in obtaining
high-quality digital versions of videos originally published on video
cassette (2000 and earlier). Our hope is that these videos can be added to
the ACM digital library and be included in preparations for the UIST 20th
anniversary.

If you fall into any of the following categories, we would like to hear from
you at [log in to unmask]:

 * If you have published a video at UIST that was distributed on
   videotape and have a digital copy of the video (preferably of
   higher quality than the published video), please contact us.
   If you have the video online already and would like your video
   to be included in the collection, please send us a link to the
   video.

 * We are also aware that some videos from previous UIST conferences
   have been digitized from the original videotapes. If you have a
   collection of digitized videos, we would also like to hear from
   you.

 * If you have published a video at UIST that was distributed on DVD
   (UIST 2001 and later) and would like to submit a higher quality
   version, please contact us. Note that you do not need to contact
   us if you were happy with the digital version originally published
   on the conference DVD.

Thank you very much for assisting us in this effort!