Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 23:39:12 +0900
From: Yui Kakino <[log in to unmask]>
[Apologies if you got multiple copies of this email.]

Call for Papers: WellComp 2021 (4th International Workshop on Computing for Well-Being)

in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2021
All Over the World
**EXTENDED** June 22, 2021 - Submission Deadline
September 25 or 26, 2021 - Workshop Date
http://WellComp.org/2021/ <http://wellcomp.org/2021/>
Workshop Theme and Goals
-------------------------------------
In the advancing ubiquitous computing age, computing technology has already spread into many aspects of our daily lives, such as office work, home and house-keeping, health management, transportation, or even cities. We have been experiencing that much of the influence from those technologies are both contributing to a better quality of life (QoL) of our individual and organizational lives, and causing new types of stress and pain at the same time. The term “well-being” has recently gained attention as a term that covers our general happiness and even more concrete good conditions in our lives, such as physical, psychological, and social wellness.

An increasing number of researchers, engineers, and people are paying attention to how their work can contribute to the better quality of lives, social good, and well-being. In spite of recent activities in academia and the society, unified academic research activities on computing and well-being is anticipated within the ubicomp research community. Active research not only in the HCI domain but in various other ubicomp research areas (systems, mobile/wearable sensing, mobile computing, persuasive applications and services, behavior change, etc.) are needed towards drawing the big picture of “computing for well-being” from different viewpoints and layers of computing. For example, an additional viewpoint of users’ well-being in activity recognition researches may invent new types of applications that comprehensively cover different types of recognition of user’s physical, mental and social activities. Ever since Mark Weiser introduced the term of ubiquitous computing, the ubiquity of computing in our daily lives and society has been certainly progressing. Now it is time for the community to more seriously envision the benefits that such computing technologies can bring.

Users of digital devices are increasingly confronted with a tremendous amount of notifications that appear on multiple devices and screens in their environment. If a user owns a smartphone, a tablet, a smartwatch and a laptop and an email-client is installed on all of these devices an incoming e-mail produces up to four notifications – one on each device. In the future, we will receive notifications from all our ubiquitous devices. Therefore, we need a smart attention management for incoming notifications. One way for a less interrupting attention management could be the use of ambient representations of incoming notifications.

Following our successful 3 workshops (WellComp 2018, 2019 and 2020), this year we will bring together people from industry and academia who are active in the areas of activity recognition, mental health, social good, context-awareness and ubiquitous computing. The main objective of WellComp 2021 is to share the latest research in various areas in computing, related to users’ physical, mental, and social well-being. Especially this year’s special attention will be paid for “management of personal well-being during COVID-19 pandemic”. Relevance to such topics will be considered in the paper review and selection process. Furthermore, the workshop aims to identify future research challenges, research opportunities, and applications of our research outcomes to the society.
The topics of interest include -but are not limited- to the following:

Definition and representation of well-being in computing
Predictive modeling of well-being metric and computational models
Systems with well-being-awareness
Measurement of well-being with ubicomp technologies
Management of physical wellness and well-being
Management of mental health and well-being
Management of social good and well-being
Innovative well-being applications
Behavior design / feedback design for well-being application
Computing and well-being of children, disabilities, or elderly people
People's well-being in various situations (e.g., smart home, smart cities and connected communities, classes)
People's well-being and new types of community driven by ICT (e.g., sharing economy)

Submission detail
------------------------
A paper should have a length of maximum 4 pages in the new SIGCHI Master Article Template and will be reviewed by at least two workshop organizers. Successful submissions will have the potential to raise discussion, provide insights for other attendees, and illustrate open challenges and potential solutions. All accepted publications will be published on the workshop website and in the ACM Digital Library. At least one author of each accepted paper needs to register for the conference and the workshop itself. During the workshop, each paper will be presented briefly by one of the authors. In addition, there will be room for demonstrations as well as discussions.

All papers need to be anonymized.

Any questions should be mailed to wellcomp-org [AT] sfc.keio.ac.jp <http://sfc.keio.ac.jp/> <http://sfc.keio.ac.jp/ <http://sfc.keio.ac.jp/>>.

Please submit your papers from https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions <https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions> <https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions <https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions>>
(select SIGCHI -> UbiComp/ISWC 2021 -> UbiComp/ISWC 2021 Workshop: WellComp, and push Go button).

Important Dates
--------
June 22, 2021 - Submission Deadline
June 28, 2021 - Notification of Acceptance
July 9?, 2021 – Camera-ready Submission Deadline
September 25 or 26, 2021 - Workshop Date

Organizing Committee
------------------------------
Tadashi Okoshi (Keio University)
Jin Nakazawa (Keio University)
JeongGil Ko (Yonsei University)
Fahim Kawsar (Nokia Bell Labs)
Susanna Pirttikangas (University of Oulu)

--

Tadashi Okoshi
Associate Professor

Web: https://www.okoshi.org <https://www.okoshi.org/>  Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Address: Delta S213, Keio University, Endo 5322, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-0882
Tel: +81-466-47-0836 or ext: 54280
大越匡 慶應義塾大学環境情報学部 准教授