From:
Borce STOJKOVSKI <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Borce STOJKOVSKI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2020 16:08:00 +0000
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
(apologies if you have already received this call)

STAST 2020

10th International Workshop on Socio-Technical Aspects in SecuriTy
http://stast.uni.lu

Affiliated with the 25th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS) 2020
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/esorics-2020

After evaluating the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the decision has been made to run ESORICS 2020 and the associated workshops as an online event. Therefore, STAST 2020 will take place as entirely virtual.

*** EVENT

The workshop intends to stimulate an exchange of ideas and experiences on how to design systems that are secure in the real world where they interact with non-expert users. It aims at bringing together experts in various areas of computer security and in social and behavioral sciences.

*** PROGRAMME

The full programme is available at http://www.stast.uni.lu/programme.html

STAST will feature an invited talk by Angela Sasse (Ruhr University Bochum)

TITLE:
Dysfunctional relationships in security–and how to move beyond them

ABSTRACT:
In 20 years of usable security research, and a parallel body of research on security culture in information security, little attention has been paid to how the relationships between different stakeholders affect security decision-making in organisations. Notable exceptions are the security dialogues work by Ashenden & Lawrence (2016) and the inclusive security approach pioneered by Coles-Kemp and colleagues (e.g. Hall, Heath & Coles-Kemp, 2015). My research has found that security professionals often abuse security as a means of power (Inglesant & Sasse, 2010) and take a non-trusting stance towards non-security colleagues (Kirlappos & Sasse 2015). In a current project, we examine the relationship between business leaders and security professionals. I will present the core misunderstanding that causes those relationships to be dysfunctional, and examine how different stakeholders have to evolve too so that we can build functional relationships.

*** REGISTRATION

Registration costs £25 per person and gives access to STAST and the whole of ESORICS.
Please visit http://www.stast.uni.lu/registration.html

*** WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS
- Giampaolo Bella (University of Catania)
- Gabriele Lenzini (University of Luxembourg)

*** PROGRAMME CHAIRS
- Thomas Gross (Newcastle University)
- Luca Viganò (King’s College London)