From:
Eelco Herder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eelco Herder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:44:55 +0200
Dear colleagues,

We - Eelco Herder, Jürgen Ziegler and Markus Strohmaier - defined a
research topic (or rather a special issue) on human-machine feedback
loops in social media, to appear in  Frontiers in Artificial
Intelligence AI for Human Learning and Behavior Change. We cordially
invite you to submit an article to this research topic by 11 October.

More about this research topic:
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/21132/improving-human-machine-feedback-loops-in-social-networks

# SUBMISSION DEADLINES*

- Abstract: earliest possible (optional)
- Manuscript: 11 October 2021

In this Research Topic, we aim to investigate feedback loops on how
social media respond to their users and vice versa. A common criticism
is that 'the algorithm' of a given social network determines which items
users will see and react upon. We believe that a more human-centered
approach to these issues acknowledges that the behavior of these
algorithms is just as well shaped by the social (mediated) interactions
between users and user-provided content and the way users react to them.

Examples of topics include but are not limited to the following:

* What triggers cause users to spontaneously comment, rate, share, or
otherwise react to posts, videos, or other (commercial, recommended)
content?
* How do users respond to online behavior that they consider
unacceptable - and does this make a difference if the other users are
strangers, friends, or even close relatives?
* How do folk theories (possibly incorrect or incomplete mental models
on how a system works) influence system usage and how can misconceptions
be repaired?
* What is the effect of the introduction of new interface elements, for
example, the possibility to react with various emojis instead of a
simple like or thumbs-up?
* How can (personalized, intelligent) algorithms detect unexpected,
undesirable responses (automatically or by means of user feedback or
reports)?

This is a great opportunity to have your research published in Frontiers
in Artificial Intelligence, an interdisciplinary journal at the
forefront of artificial intelligence research. Led by Professor Thomas
Hartung, it seeks to understand the AI revolution and how it spills into
all areas of life, from finance to health, agriculture to human response.

More about Research Topics:
---------------------------
Frontiers’ Research Topics are collections of peer-reviewed articles
around an emerging or cutting-edge theme. As a contributing author, you
will benefit from:

* high visibility and the chance to be included in a downloadable ebook
* rigorous, transparent and fast peer-review for your article
* publication throughout the year, as soon as your article is accepted
* advanced impact metrics

More about publishing with Frontiers:
-------------------------------------

Manuscripts will be peer reviewed, and if accepted for publication, are
subject to publishing fees
(https://www.frontiersin.org/about/publishing-fees ), which vary
depending on the article type. A discount or waiver can be applied for
(https://frontiers.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_51IljifwFBXUzY1) and all
applications are considered.

Frontiers collaborate with many leading universities making the Open
Access publishing process even more accessible for authors. For more
details here: https://www.frontiersin.org/about/institutional-membership.

We look forward to your response.

Best,
Eelco Herder, Jürgen Ziegler and Markus Strohmaier

--
Dr. Eelco Herder

Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen
Institute for Computing and Information Sciences
Toernooiveld 212
Mercator 1 - Room 03.01
6525 EC Nijmegen
The Netherlands