Sender:
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:25:29 -0000
From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Posted on behalf of Peter Jones [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Call for Participation

Cognition and Collaboration - Analyzing Distributed Community Practices
for Design

Organizers:

Peter H. Jones, Redesign Research, USA

Cristina Chisalita, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam

We are inviting participants and new contributions to the Third
International Workshop on Analyzing Collaborative Activity to be held at
the ACM CHI 2005 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems,
Monday April 4, 2005. The theme of this workshop is: Cognition and
Collaboration - Analyzing Distributed Community Practices for Design.
We plan for 15 participants, and will accept up to 20.

Our purpose is to share from research and practice the methods and
approaches found effective for understanding collaborative activity in
distributed community practices (e.g. scientific research, medical care,
aviation, organizations). Designing tools and practices for
collaboration presents challenges to designers and researchers. In
design research we've seen trends of exploring multiple and hybrid
methodologies for understanding and analyzing collaboration and joint
work. Field research, cognitive ethnography, cognitive artifacts
analysis, and contextual research have been adapted to study
collaborative activity in naturalistic work situations. These methods
support a grounded understanding of activity and context, and help
researchers identify opportunities in cognitive work with effective
interactive technology design. This workshop encourages research in
distributed cognition in intensional networks, organizations, and intact
work communities, with a focus on sharing approaches that reveal design
opportunities in descriptions of joint behavior.

In practice, we recognize the difficulties in translating field data to
meaningful representations, for both understanding and design. Several
frameworks have emerged (e.g. distributed cognition, contextual design,
activity theory) to distill models from rich field data, but researchers
also pursue hybrid and unique approaches. We are interested in sharing
theoretical development and practical experiences to result in new
shared models of field data analysis for design.

Participants should have experience in empirical HCI research or related
disciplines with an interest in collaborative practice. We also invite
theoretical approaches to collaborative activity research. The workshop
will be facilitated with some structure for brief presentations and open
time for group dialogue. Participants will informally present a problem
or case study, focusing on issues that have emerged in their research.
An unstructured approach to dialogue will be encouraged, surfacing key
ideas and encouraging emergent issues of interest. The workshop will
also explore further development of this work in publications, joint
findings, or other collaborations.

Papers will be selected for the workshop based on:

1. A clear definition of an applicable research problem, preferably
supported by case study. Preliminary research is encouraged.

2. The practice domain is characterized by cognitive work and
unstructured collaboration.

3. Experience in distributed cognition, activity theory, cognitive
systems engineering, or other frameworks for understanding and
integrating complex field data.

4. Some example of the representation can be made and shared for
learning and discussion with the group.

Pre-workshop

We will share selected workshop papers with all participants to read
before the workshop. We will use the website at redesignresearch.com to
distribute papers, maintain news, and share reports.  Papers from the
first two workshops are also available at this site for review.

Submissions

Please send 3-5 page position papers in Word or PDF format via email to:

Peter Jones            [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

http://redesignresearch.com <http://redesignresearch.com/>