From:
Natasha Tylosky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Natasha Tylosky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:14:03 +0000
WORKSHOP TITLE: Facilitating Data Inclusion and Empowerment through Arts-Based, Creative and Playful Approaches

DATES:

Deadline for position paper submission: 20 May 2021

Paper acceptance notification: 25 May 2021

Workshop date: either 21 or 22 June 2021 (to be confirmed)

LOCATION: Online Worldwide (hosted in Finland)

WORKSHOP WEBSITE: https://parcos-project.eu/data-creativity-workshop/

Workshop on Facilitating Data Inclusion and Empowerment through Arts-Based, Creative and Playful Approaches -<https://parcos-project.eu/data-creativity-workshop/>
This workshop is part of Communities and Technologies 2021: https://2021.comtech.community/ Practical Details Workshop date: 21 or 22 June 2021 (to be confirmed) Date for position papers: 20 May 2021 Notification of acceptance: 25 May 2021 This workshop will take place online. Details will be made available to participants nearer the time. Background In our increasingly … Continue reading "Workshop on Facilitating Data Inclusion and Empowerment through Arts-Based, Creative and Playful Approaches"
parcos-project.eu

ABSTRACT:

Big data is a topic of growing importance in the modern world, these days our lives are shaped by the information we consume. As such data literacy is becoming an increasingly crucial skill to have. However, there are barriers of entry to understanding scientific data for the average person. This workshop will explore ways in which we can overcome those barriers, and attempt to engage people with scientific data through creative, playful, and fun approaches. The goal of this workshop is to promote data inclusivity and literacy, and to demystify the concept of data. This workshop will use art-based approaches as a means of communicating data. It will also involve participants making sense of the data themselves through data storytelling techniques. This workshop will also be a chance to reflect on what barriers to data inclusivity exists, and the role that data plays in building empathy towards others and the world around us.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:

This workshop aims to bring together researchers who are interested in science communication and data dissemination through creative, fun and playful approaches. Our goal is to share different novel methods of science communication and discuss the potential efficacy and implementation of these methods. We also seek to provide an opportunity for researchers to experience art-based data dissemination methods through hands-on sensemaking activities. To participate, please submit a position paper to natasha.tylosky[at]lut.fi . This can be text (minimum 1 page, in any format), sketches, photos, videos, speculative designs or any artefact that you think will demonstrate your interest or existing research related to the theme of the workshop “Data Inclusion and Empowerment through Arts-Based, Creative and Playful Approaches”. You may submit your paper as a link to online content (e.g. video), if appropriate.

TOPICS OF INTEREST:
• Narrative principles supporting data exploration
• Creative data literacies
• Playful data exploration
• Data as interactive art and museum exhibits
• Data through the senses: data physicalisation, sonofication, embodiment
• Data drama: understanding and communicating data through role play, improvisation, dance
• Data stories through sketching, comics, poetry

ORGANIZATION TEAM:
Natasha Tylosky, LUT University
Priscilla Van Even, KU Leuven
Sandy Claes, KU Leuven