From:
Zhao Han <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2023 18:56:46 +0000
Dear colleagues,

You are all invited to submit to the Second Workshop on Affective Human-Robot Interaction, co-located with the 2023 International Conference on Affective Computing & Intelligent Interaction (ACII 2023) in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

The submission deadline has been extended to Friday, 12 May, 2023.

Workshop papers will be published in a separate proceeding (volume) that includes the doctoral consortium, demos and workshops. They will be published on IEEE Xplore.

We have submitted a special issue with Frontiers in Robotics and AI. Accepted paper authors will be invited to submit an extended version.

We are also excited to announce that we have five confirmed speakers: Prof. Linlin Shen (Shenzhen University), Prof. Nadia Berthouze (University College London), Dr. Sujin Wang (Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Science), Dr. Shaun Canavan (University of South Florida), and Huili Chen (MIT Media Lab)!

Please see below for more detail or visit our website www.a-hri.me<http://www.a-hri.me>. We look forward to seeing you in our workshop!

We would like to express our gratitude to the UKRI Node on Trust for their great support.

Rationale and Scope

In recent years, robotic applications have seen an increasing real-world deployment. It is common in these applications that a user interacts directly with a robot. In such Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), trust and mutual adaptation is established and maintained through a positive social relationship between the robot and the human interactor, and relies on the perceived competence of a robot on the social-emotional dimension. How a user perceives a robot's social intelligence and their social relationship with the robot can have a direct influence on the outcomes of an HRI system. Moreover, in many HRI applications, social-emotional interaction with the intended users is the main goal of the system or a core strategy to achieve the desired outcomes. Such affective HRI applications require emotion-awareness and social-emotional competence in the robot's functions to deliver acceptable services.

Following the success in 2022, the second AHRI workshop will continue to provide a communication and collaboration platform for researchers working on affective computing, HRI, social robotics, and AI and robotics application. In alignment with the ACII 2023’s theme in “Affective Computing: Context and Multimodality”, we especially welcome submissions on HRI in multimodal and naturalistic interaction contexts. This workshop will focus on discussing the following topics:

  *   How to adaptively/accurately perceive unimodal or multimodal affective human behaviour in HRI under particular interaction context.

  *   How to efficiently generate natural and affective robot behaviour in HRI that is appropriate for the interaction context.

  *   How to measure the benefits and outcomes of affective HRI applications with a user-centred and contextualised approach.

Topics (including, but not limited to):

  *   Affective and emotion-aware human-robot interaction

  *   Contextual factors in human-robot interaction and collaboration in-the-wild

  *   Graph Neural Networks for human behaviour understanding

  *   Graph representation learning for human behaviour understanding

  *   Theory of mind and imitation learning in empathic robots

  *   Social robotics and assistive robotics

  *   Multimodal emotion recognition in-the-wild

  *   Microexpression recognition and generation

  *   Robust affect and personality recognition

  *   Verbal/nonverbal emotional behaviour generation for robots and intelligent agents

  *   Human-robot trust and transparency in interaction

  *   Affective and social intelligence in healthcare and elderly care robot

  *   Artificial emotions in robots and intelligent agents

  *   Personalised and adaptive robots in longitudinal interaction

  *   Ethical considerations of affective systems and robotic applications

Invited Speakers

  *   Prof. Linlin Shen (Shenzhen University)

  *   Prof. Nadia Berthouze (University College London)

  *   Dr. Sujin Wang (Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Science)

  *   Dr. Shaun Canavan (University of South Florida)

  *   Huili Chen (MIT Media Lab)

Important Dates

Submission deadline: 12 May 2023

Notifications for workshop papers: 9 Jun 2023

Camera ready deadline: 1 Aug 2023

Workshop date: 10 Sep 2023

Please visit www.a-hri.me<https://www.a-hri.me/> for updates.

Submission

Our workshop will accept two types of submission:

  1.  Full papers (6 pages + up to 2 pages of references) which will be presented as oral presentations at the workshop

  2.  Short papers (up to 4 pages including references) which will be presented as posters at the workshop

Submissions will be reviewed in a single-blind manner, and each submission will receive 2 to 3 reviews.

Please follow ACII 2023's guidelines<https://acii-conf.net/2023/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/2023-ACII-Submission-Guidelines.pdf> when preparing your submissions.

Accepted papers will be published and indexed on IEEExplore in a separate proceeding (volume) that includes the doctoral consortium, demos and workshops of ACII 2023. We are also in contact with Frontier in AI and Robots regarding publishing extended version of submissions accepted to our workshop as a special issue.

Please submit your paper via EasyChair<https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=acii2023> (ACII 2023 EasyChair portal: "Workshop: Affective Human-Robot Interaction" track).

Sponsor

UKRI TAS Node on Trust<https://trust.tas.ac.uk/>, UK

Organisers

  *   Dr. Leimin Tian<https://tianleimin.github.io/> (Monash University, Australia)

  *   Dr. Chuang Yu <https://www.chuangyu.me/> (University College London, UK)

  *   Dr. Siyang Song<https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/people/ss2796> (University of Leicester, UK)

  *   Dr. Zhao Han<https://zhaohanphd.com/> (Colorado School of Mines, USA)

  *   Dr. Jingting Li<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jingting-Li-2> (Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China)

  *   Dr. Meiying Qin<https://meiyingqin.github.io/> (York University, Canada)

  *   Prof. Xiaofeng Liu<https://www.linkedin.com/in/xiaofeng-liu-39089a58/> (Hohai University, China)

  *   Prof. Aiguo Song<https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=RjQ5TrEAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate> (Southeast University, China)

  *   Prof. Adriana Tapus<https://perso.ensta-paris.fr/~tapus/eng/> (Institut Polytechnique of Paris, France)

  *   Prof. Angelo Cangelosi<https://research.manchester.ac.uk/en/persons/angelo.cangelosi> (University of Manchester, UK)

---
Zhao Han, Ph.D.<https://zhaohanphd.com/>  (he/him<https://pronouns.org/>)
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Computer Science, Brown Hall, 280M
Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 80401, USA
zhaohanphd.com<https://zhaohanphd.com/> | @hanzhao<https://twitter.com/hanzhao>