From:
Andrew Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:27:24 -0500
 Call for Submissions
 New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia 1999  on the themes of
 Hypermedia design and development
 and
 Open hypermedia systems

NRHM is a refereed annual review journal covering research on practical
 and theoretical developments in hypermedia, interactive multimedia and
 related technologies. Issues (normally 10-12 papers) review and explore
 one or two topical themes from diverse perspectives.

 The themes for the 1999 issue of NRHM will be:

 - Hypermedia design and development
         Guest editor David Lowe

 - Open hypermedia systems
         Guest editor Kaj Grønbæk

 Papers should be submitted to the appropriate theme editors.
 For Instructions to Authors, see http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/~NRHM/ or
 contact the Editor.

 Submission deadline:       1st April 1999
 Acceptance notification:   1st  August 1999
 Final manuscripts due:     1st October 1999
 Publication date:              Late 1999

Hypermedia Design and Development

 Guest Editor David Lowe
 Computer Systems Engineering, University of Technology, Sydney
 P.O. Box 123, Broadway, Sydney, NSW, 2007 Australia
 Tel: +61-2-9514-2526      Fax: +61-2-9514-2435
 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

 Scope:

As evidenced by the recent explosion of interest in the World Wide Web,
the application of hypermedia concepts and technologies is growing at a
rapid rate, especially in terms of scope and complexity. Despite this, the
development of hypermedia applications - such as websites - is typically ad
hoc and poorly managed. The consequences are that results are often poor
quality, difficult to maintain and excessively expensive to produce,
particularly with respect to the effective utilisation of
hypertextfunctionality.

 The purpose of this special issue of NRHM is to present articles which,
 when taken together, demonstrate the range and depth of research
 addressing issues related to how we can more effectively develop hypertext
 applications. These articles may survey general areas of research or may
 focus on specific new approaches or research results. In particular
 submitted papers may cover any of the following areas (or others related
 to hypermedia development):

> - Design methodologies and/or models
> - Frameworks for design
> - Experiences in design
> - Development processes and models
> - Authoring environments
> - User-interface design for hypermedia
> - Cognitive issues in development
> - Hypertext specification and specification languages
> - Maintenance and/or reuse in hypermedia applications
> - Hypertext patterns
> - Development and/or design tools
> - Hypermedia applications evaluation metrics and/or methods
> - Distributed application development
> - Application evolution
> - Scoping of applications

 Authors are invited to submit their papers electronically to the Guest
 Editor, David Lowe, at the e-mail address above. There is no formal length
 limit for articles, but authors who wish to submit a long article should
 contact the guest editor prior to submission.

 Open hypermedia systems

 Guest Editor Kaj Grønbæk
Computer Science Dept, Aarhus University,
 Ebogade 34, DK-8200 Aarhus N, Denmark.
 Tel: +45 8942 5636    Fax: +45 8942 5624
 E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Scope:

 Open hypermedia system (OHS) research addresses the issues of supporting
 users with hypermedia as a seamless integrated feature of their working
 environment. This involves integrating hypermedia functionality with
 existing applications and document formats in a heterogeneous computing
 environment. An open hypermedia system is a kind of "middleware" in the
 computing environment offering hypermedia functionality to existing and
 future applications via a standardized communication protocol independent
 of document formats. Thus open hypermedia services make arbitrary
applications "hypermedia enabled". Open hypermedia functionality includes
 support for hypermedia structuring such as linking into and from material
managed by applications without altering the material itself.  Open
 hypermedia research, however, goes beyond linking and investigates new
 types of hypermedia structuring mechanisms that can be applied to existing
 and forthcoming applications. Open hypermedia research also covers
 authoring and collaboration issues where information is produced and
 structured as part of collaboration in groups. Finally, open hypermedia
 research addresses distribution aspects of hypermedia structures as well
 as content. For example, integration of open hypermedia services in the
 WWW environment is an important area of research.

 The purpose of this special issue of NRHM is to present articles which,
 when taken together,  explore the state of the art in open hypermedia
 research. We wish to solicit papers on all aspects of open hypermedia:

> - Reference models, frameworks and system architectures
> - Interoperability standards and protocols
> *     Applications of OHS in specific application domains
> *     Scenarios for novel OHS application domains
> - Development methods for open hypermedia applications
> *     Integration of open hypermedia in the WWW
> *     Integration of multimedia data such as video, sound and animations
> - Presentation and user interface issues
> - Collaboration support for OHS
> - Distribution support for OHS
> - OHS support for novel hypermedia concepts and structures
> - Open hypermedia databases

 Authors are invited to submit their papers electronically to the Guest
 Editor, Kaj Grønbæk, at the e-mail address above. There is no formal
 length limit for articles, but authors who wish to submit a long article
 should contact the guest editor prior to submission.

 NRHM Editor Douglas Tudhope  - [log in to unmask]
 Associate Editor (UK) Daniel Cunliffe - [log in to unmask]
 Associate Editor (US) Andrew Dillon - [log in to unmask]>