From:
Cayley MacArthur <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cayley MacArthur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2018 12:04:28 -0400
Hello,

I would like to invite your participation in an upcoming workshop on
intersectionality & diversity in games, *Gaming with the Subaltern*, at ACM
CHIPLAY 2018 <https://chiplay.acm.org/2018/>. CHIPLAY 2018 will take place
October 28-31 in beautiful Melbourne, Australia. Please redistribute this
call widely with potential interested participants.

*Gaming With the Subaltern *(website <https://subalterngur.wordpress.com/>)

*subaltern: populations that are socially, politically, and geographically
outside of the hegemonic power structure of the colony and of the colonial
homeland*

*Workshop description:*

How do individual differences affect results and methods in games user
research, and individuals' gameplay experiences? What perspectives and
experiences are shared by people across gender, ethnicity, age, ability,
class, and other social power dynamics? Which of these identity effects are
unique and which are shared across dynamics of oppression? What do game
researchers and developers need to understand regarding identity dynamics
when gathering data, interpreting results, or presenting information? What
does intersectionality (i.e., the living combination of multiple identity
and power dynamics) look like in gaming, game development and research? Our
workshop is built around these key questions in the hope that shared
insights will allow us to move from simply valuing "diversity" toward
successful intersectional practices in research, development, and play.

This workshop represents an effort to gather a community of identity,
power, and diversity researchers to share our knowledge and practices with
one another, collectively understand the intersections of identity-factors
(race, gender, sexuality, ability, neuroatypicality, etc.) and
cross-cultural issues in games research and game design. Our shared
knowledge will begin with the mutual building of known biases, player
experience effects, and identified sites of player
exclusion/marginalization. This will form a snapshot of gaming and
research’s current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to
real diversity in games and games user research (GUR). The group will map
common identity factors to key research areas, revealing shared and
unshared dynamics. This map will advance our collective practices and
identify current, recurring barriers to diversity. It will also support the
construction of a later summary document on key considerations for
researchers and game developers working with diverse populations. The
results of our workshop will be published to an online, publicly-available
website for comment, critique, and open development.

*To participate: *Consult the workshop website for instructions, and submit
your 1-2 page *expression of interest* to [log in to unmask] to reserve a
place in the workshop. Submissions received by *October 1st* will be
confirmed by October 4th, however, we will consider late submissions up to
the date of the workshop (Oct. 28). SWaGUR <http://swagur.ca/> has
contributed funding such that the workshop fee for a limited number of
participants with financial need may be supported.

*Workshop website:* https://subalterngur.wordpress.com/
<https://subalterngur.wordpress.com/>

We look forward to seeing you there,

Cayley MacArthur, on behalf of the organizers

--
Cayley MacArthur
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/cayley-macarthur-46251b68/> (pref.

*I *
*acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of ‎ the
Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The
University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land
promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometres on each side of
the Grand River. *